Are you a Twit?

Image courtesy of jmilles

Image courtesy of jmilles

Before you ask, it’s not about intelligence and it has absolutely nothing to do with Roald Dahl.

A “Twit” as they (we) are affectionately refered to is someone who tweets on the increasingly popular micro-blogging service, Twitter. You may have heard the likes of Jonathon “@wossy” Ross, Stephen Fry (@stephenfry) and Channel 4 News (@channel4news) talking about Twitter.

I’ll leave you to Google yourself silly about what Twitter is and go straight to Tweetups (oh, did I mention we like our Twitterisms?)

A Tweetup is a meetup of folks co-ordinated through Twitter. Often Tweetups are created along some common interest or cause. For example, there was a recent global Tweetup called Twestival which aimed to raise money for charity.

Well, the Tweeps behind The Lichfield Blog are having their own little Tweetup. So if you’re a Lichfield Twit, or live nearby, why not join us? We’ll be meeting on Tuesday 10th March at The Bowling Green. We’ll probably start around 8:30pm and continue until our thumbs are sore from tweeting!

In the meantime, you can follow the discussion about our Lichfield Tweetup on Twitter search.

1. Sammy J

4th March, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I’ll be there with my knickers in the air (that last bit may be untrue).

Do I need to wear a carnation or carry a copy of the Times?

2. Ian

4th March, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I hope to be there.

I’m still having a debate with myself whether attending a Tweetup vindicates my Twitter usage as I’ll be meeting real live people or if it just makes me an even bigger geek. It’s a moral maze, it really is.

I don’t think you’ll need to wear a carnation, Sammy J. I knoe what you look like – I see you hanging around Market Square on a regular basis. You’ll be able to spot me (@iancovey) as I look much more like my avatar below and less like Frankie Howard…

3. Phil

4th March, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Sammy, I expect you and everyone else to look EXACTLY like your avatar at all times.

I have already booked an appointment at the tanning salon on Monday afternoon to get myself a slight sun burn for the occasion.

4. Sammy J

4th March, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I have my hair in rollers as we speak.

And telling Mrs Sammy J I was going out for a drink “to meet some blokes off the internet” wasn’t easy, let me tell you.

I do feel however, that I will need some sort of signal. Perhaps Ian could bring a whistle?

5. Nick B

5th March, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I shall be there squires!

6. Paul Groves

5th March, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Myself and @rachelcreative are definite maybes. Probably won’t know until about 8.15pm next Tuesday, but fingers crossed.

7. Alex Mowbray

5th March, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I’d love to be there, but Tuesdays are a really bad night for me. Have a good time chaps, I’ll be at the next one.

8. sammy_boy

10th March, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I should be there! Know what Sammy J means about telling others you’re off to meet ‘some blokes/girls off the internet’ has a few connotations! Bit nervous as well meeting people who I’ve only ever interacted with via a keyboard and 140 characters!