Michael Fabricant’s Twittercism – part two

Michael Fabricant MP

Michael Fabricant MP

Seems I wasn’t the only person who was a bit underwhelmed by Michael Fabricant’s Twittering.

Guardian columnist Simon Hoggart has also put the boot in over on their website.

However, I do feel that at least my criticism was constructive (even if Mr Fabricant didn’t see it as so). Mr Hoggart’s efforts were typical London media snobbery – if we don’t understand it, rubbish it.

Before launching into his jab at our MP’s efforts, the Guardian’s man says:

As an open-minded Luddite I often think carefully about joining these online networks before deciding, no, why waste the time? (There are some upmarket Facebook-type sites now which you’re supposed to join, not to share pictures of yourself in a state of inebriation, but to discuss the arts, the economy and the future of the planet. I can’t be doing with them either.)

Anyway, I do hope our beloved MP will bite back at Mr Hoggart in the same way he did at me.

1. Phil

7th March, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I should have gone for that Digital Engagement gig…

Don’t Hoggart’s comments support Fabricant’s argument though? That it’s a waste of time because it’s full of toilet break talk?

2. Sammy J

7th March, 2009 at 3:36 pm

That’s one way of looking at it, but I still maintain that, when used well, it could be a valuable way to interact with younger voters, many of whom politicians would give their right arm to be in touch with.

The post was also just to highlight Hoggart’s ignorance to the whole thing as much as anything. At least my views were constructive (although not everyone took them that way).

And there’s the argument that if it’s not doing a job for you then why not do something else with the time if seconds are such a precious commodity?

3. deepinder

8th March, 2009 at 1:20 am

As Nye Bevin once put it, Tories are beneath vermin. This twit is the prize candidate.

4. Michael Fabricant

8th March, 2009 at 9:41 am

My tweeting is getting me into trouble! First the excellent Lichfield Blog, then Simon Hoggart in the Grauniad, and now the Independent on Sunday has criticised me for giving away ‘secrets’ during the Conservative 1922 Committee meeting where I revealed that Liam Fox (the Shadow Defence Secretary) had told us that there are now more planes in Hendon Aircraft Museum than there are in the RAF. The Independent think I should be expelled from the Conservative Party!

(No doubt that would please the intellectual ‘deepinder’. Would that then make me ‘above vermin’? Oh dear. Sad.)

5. deepinder

8th March, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Good god the Indy getting in a huff about the state of the Tories???!

I dunno if Liam Fox got his latest Airfix Kit info from the Freedom of Information act (something that was proposed by a labour MP).

What applies to the Republicans can be watered down toward the Tories viz:

6. rachelcreative

8th March, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I can see how Twitter can be a useful tool for a politican.

Article here in the Economist “Tweeting the people” looking at the US http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13109717

BUT … there aren’t any rules about how anyone HAS to use Twitter. If Michael Fabricant wants to Twitter about life in general, just like thousands of other Twitter users do, then that’s fine.

MP’s are people too you know.

7. Pingback: The Guardian should know better « Sandbox

8. Jonathan Walker

18th May, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I notice that Mickey Fab is now following 253 people, so I guess he has taken your advice.

9. Pingback: My Football Writer