Student films celebrated at Inspire Festival Awards

The Lichfield Inspire Film Festival Awards have taken place at The Garrick, celebrating the best in student film making throughout the country.

Over 100 submissions were received, which were whittled down to a short list for the judges to scrutinise. The judging panel included legendary film critic Barry Norman, multi-award winning director Asif Kapadia and award-winning director, writer and photographer, Arran de Moubray.

There were 6 awards up for grabs in total. Below are the nominations and the winner for each award.

Best Further Education Documentary

• The legend of King Arthur – Eleanor Cotton – Burton College (Winner)
  • Deaf awareness – Sharon Woodward – Oxford Iffyley Media School
  • Bullying – Sharon Woodward – Oxford Iffyley Media School

Best Further Education Drama

• Dormant – Robert Swithenbank – Park Lane College (Leeds) (Winner)
  • Pavor Noctumus – Christopher Boorman – University of Lincoln

Best Higher Education Music Video

• Here’s to the Hero – Nathan Williams – Staffordshire University
  • Norwegian Wood – Steven Wright – University of Cumbria (Winner)
  • Concrete Wings – Ben McNeail – Canterbury College (Kent)

Best Higher Education Documentary

• Mark – James Harrison – Portsmouth University
  • 1-2’s and tutu’s – Joshua hibberd – Portsmouth University
  • Nordlys – Dawn Morrison – University of Cumbria (Winner)
  • For the time being – University of Sterling

Best Higher Education Drama

• Play – Muriel d’Ansembourg – London Film School (Winner)
  • Darklight – Nathan Williams – Staffordshire University
  • Less than Romantic – Joshua Hibberd – Portsmouth University
  • Dear Father – James Harrison – Portsmouth University
  • Riven – Andrew Piekarczyk – Staffordshire University

Muriel d’Ansembourg’s Play also secured the Best of Festival award.

1. Sue

7th July, 2009 at 2:09 pm

What happened to the Best School Award?

2. Phil

7th July, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Hi Sue, there is a post on that award in the works as I type…

3. Eoin Edwards

7th July, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Hi Phil, I’m sorry that I didn’t give you all the info, I was running around like a mad thing, so I’m really sorry.

If you want to put that * Robert Markland (14) is the winner of the schools category with his amazing animation, when we first watched that we were all gob smacked and could not believe the quality of the work from such a young student, many of us myself included knew that even we couldn’t produce an animation as good as that. And It was High in the running, and a lot of peoples favourite for the award ‘Best of Festival’ Award. We sincerly hope that we see robert and more of his work at future events, and hope that he can take this and progress into the industry because he is just that good. Many thanks and sorry again.
    Eoin Edwards at the Inspire Team

4. Eoin Edwards

7th July, 2009 at 2:26 pm

The Title of Roberts amazing animation was ‘Keep on Running aswell’

5. Eoin Edwards

7th July, 2009 at 2:27 pm

sorry its just: ‘Keep on Running’

6. Phil

7th July, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Eoin, my fault entirely – I just kept forgetting to ask you about it! I’ve e-mailed you anyway. Speak soon.

7. Eoin Edwards

7th July, 2009 at 3:36 pm

No deffinately my fault you guys did us a huge favor and gret job. Pint soon?

8. Phil

7th July, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Sue – I’ve just added a post about the Schools award. Apologies for the delay! Inspire Film Festival awards “gob-smacking” young talent.

9. Sue

7th July, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Thank you very much Eoin & Phil, it was a complete shock to read about the ‘Best of Festival’ Award!

10. Sharon Woodward

29th April, 2010 at 4:13 pm

This is a bit embarrassing because I am was the person who ran the workshops and entered the films into the festival. But the filmmakers themselves were Iffley Mead School, Abingdon College (Bullying Film), Oxford and Cherwell Valley Hearing Support Unit . Serves me right for doing things in a hurry.
    Media Workshop Facilitator