Mobility scooter hit-and-run danger worries Lichfield councillor

A mobility scooter

A mobility scooter

A Lichfield councillor has raised concerns about the danger of mobility scooter hit-and-run incidents in the city.

Councillor Doris English (Cons, St Johns) admitted she was worried by the fact that people using scooters did not require insurance before taking control of one of the vehicles.

And she claimed that that the dangers posed by reckless mobility scooter drivers had worried Lichfield District Council’s Disability Partnership Panel.

Cllr English wrote on her website:

“These scooters can travel at up to eight miles an hour. Only this weekend someone I observed was treating the scooter as if it were a fair ride, swinging  around in a circle and, dare I say, whooping for joy! Perhaps she was pleased to be mobile, but having had my own ankles knocked by such a vehicle, I was not amused by her display.”

And Cllr English is now seeking the views of members of the public on her website regarding mobility scooter users.

She continued:

“We are seeing more and more scooters on the pavements and in shops. I would be interested to hear your views. I know they mean mobility for some but I would have thought they should be aware of others too.”

1. BrownhillsBob

4th September, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Coming soon to the Garrick:

The Wheeled One, starring Micheal Fabricant – two rival mobility scooter gangs terrorise a sleepy Lichfield, after a gang leader is locked up for molesting a fish. The gangs battle, mowing down innocent ranting councillors and ramraiding TJ Hughes for thermal undies. See cunning stunts performed as trained daredevils perform sychopated handbrake turns, stop suddenly in front of random members of the audience and whizz up the theatre isles at breakneck speeds.

A sure fire hit!

2. GrovesMedia

4th September, 2009 at 1:06 pm

It is unusual for me to say this, but I don’t think the Tory politco goes far enough on this issue.
    Cllr English is to be commended for her willingness to consider such a clampdown, but surely there is mileage in embarking on a muh more strict regime?
    Clamping must be an option, along with a three strikes rule – three accidents or near misses and the scooter is taken away for a period of time to be determined by our courts.
    Plus, why stop there?
    Those inconsiderate would-be passengers who block the pavement at the bus stop outside the library, for example, could be subject to a yellow and red card warning system – persistent pavement blockers get banned from the bus they are waiting to board.
    People who choose to stand in shop doorways to conduct a conversation, but believe you are being inconsiderate for trying to enter the premises, could be given ASBOs.
    Cyclists who ride recklessly on a pavement or the wrong way up a one-way street should have essential items of their bike – seat, pedals etc – removed for each offence.
    Skateboarders should be jailed.
    On rainy days people who walk three abreast with umbrellas raised along covered walkways, forcing those without umbrellas into the rain, should do community service.
    We need street wardens to enforce such rules and a courts system ready, willing and able to punish culprits.
    I wonder if Cllr English’s party – or any other political party – has the stomach for such a fight?

3. BrownhillsBob

4th September, 2009 at 1:10 pm

‘Skateboarders should be jailed.’

In general, or ater they’ve done something wrong?

I say just force them to pull their trousers up…

4. GrovesMedia

4th September, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Jailing skateboarders: A general rule of thumb, obviously.

5. pezholio

4th September, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Can I also request that all old and unemployed people be banned from going to the Post Office between the hours of 12pm and 2pm, so employed people don’t have to queue on their lunchbreaks?

6. BrownhillsBob

4th September, 2009 at 1:22 pm

XKCD sums up the skateboard thang:

I think Goths and Emo kids should be forced by law to cheer up.

7. boley roley

4th September, 2009 at 2:49 pm

A group of mobility scooter riders from Lichfield were amongst 600 stopped last bank holiday weekend entering the Brighton area of east sussex. Police feared scenes of some 40 years on Brighton beach as the blue rinse and flat cap brigade rode into Brighton in an aggressive manor singing ” we are the bods,we are the bods,we are we are we are the bods” Blanche Netherstowe Lowe from Lichfield mobility ramblers club said ” we are treated worst than football yobs it took us six weeks to get here and they treat us like this,no one likes us but we dont care” PC Rod Plod said we received intelligence months ago that a known mobility scooter gang with a bad reputation were travelling down from Lichfield so acted accordingly ,some of the gang tried to make off across fields but were quickly rounded up and escorted out of Sussex .

8. gastank

6th September, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I came across one old chap driving between Lichfield and Yoxall at night with no lights. Only picked him up at the last second because my headlights were dipped because of oncoming traffic. He almost met his maker that night.

9. RebeccaOfSunnyBrookFarm

6th September, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Well I’ve been staying at home near on seven years since I lost my mobility. .. I buy meals on wheels now and a delivery every month of things like toilet paper and shampoo.
    … I was told to “get off that thing and walk” by a woman outside the shopping mall and I never got over it; I guessed there were folk with no legs, and I ought to be greatful that I am able to walk from room to room in my flat.
    … I suppose I have to accept my limitations and stay at home so that there is no embarrassment or inconvenience to folk who work – walk to work and who pay taxes, but not like me on savings, rather, on the privilige of working life. … R.

10. Classcrisis

7th September, 2009 at 2:37 pm

There may well be safety issues with having scooters on the streets but as RebeccaOfSunnyBrookFarm points out the real issue is mobility for those who are otherwise housebound. If the scooter solution causes problems that outweigh their benefits then perhaps Councillor Doris English should be looking at other solutions instead of simply griping about what currently exists.

Everyone knows that the public transport system in Lichfield is woeful and recent events and the comments on this blog entry demonstrate that there isn’t a self supporting community ready to offer help to those who need it. The attitude of “I work, I pay tax therefore I’m important and shouldn’t be inconvenienced” is a corrosive one.

11. Brownhillsbob

7th September, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Isn’t a self supporting community? That’s a real shame, because I was about to launch a charity appeal for those members of our society tragically born without sense of humour nor any ability to recognise those with their tongues firmly in their cheeks.

The humourless minority suffer terribly, they need our help…after all, if you can’t pot when a slightly pompous councillor is having the rise taken out of them, life must be very dull.

12. Classcrisis

7th September, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I wasn’t commenting on anything you said Bob, only Councilor English and the comment left by Rebecca. Neither of which seem to me to have their tongues in their cheeks and one who seems to have been negatively affected by the type of attitude displayed by the councilor.

Sorry, I’ll try to pay more attention to you in future. I’m sure we can have lots of fun together :)

13. Brownhillsbob

7th September, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I think you’ll find that a couple of the guys who were bantering actually understand what piloting a wheelchair is like.

There’s more than one way to tackle the self-important…

14. Pingback: Highway Code warning for mobility scooter users in Lichfield