Highgate United FC Reserves 1 Chasetown FC Reserves 1

A much-changed Chasetown FC Reserves side picked up a point at Highgate United FC Reserves in only their third league game of the season.

Despite having six new faces in the visiting side it took just four minutes of the game for Chasetown to take the lead as Jack Scandrett played in Daniel Rock down the left hand flank and it was his low driven cross that caused a Highgate defender to divert the ball into his own net.

A short while later Alex Fletcher pounced on a weak back pass, but despite lobbing the home keeper he saw his effort go just over.

On ten minutes Highgate got their first chance, Fraher shooting straight at Fryer from 25 yards.

More uncertainty in the home defence saw a back pass from 30 yards roll under the goalkeeper’s foot only for the ball to go just the wrong side of the post and into the side netting.

A searching ball from right back Carl Willetts on 20 minutes saw Tom Billingham head over from six yards out.

Highgate had their best chance on 35 minutes when unmarked Todd headed over from inside the penalty area.

The rest of the half ended with both sides guilty of wasting possession with the game deteriating into a scrappy affair.

The second half began much the same as the first ended – possession was at a premium as the game was fought out in the middle third of the pitch.

It took until the 51st minute for the opening chance of the half and it led to the equaliser for Highgate. A corner on the left was headed home from close range while the static Chasetown defence looked on.

On 55 minutes Tom Ivers replaced Alex Fletcher as the Scholars tried to regain the initiative with the home side beginning to get on top. Ivers almost made an instant impact, firing just wide from 30 yards out.

On 63 minutes, Allen was caught in possession and Fryer did well to save low down at his near post.

Debutant Striker Matthew Botley was thrown on to replace midfielder Stephen Allen on 67 minutes as the visitors went three up front.

Shortly afterwards, a Luke Hyden free-kick from just inside the Highgate half was headed over from close range by Tom Billingham.

On 75 minutes Green got across the front of the Chasetown defence to divert a low Fraher cross just wide. Then Jack Scandrett shrugged of the challenge from the Highgate centre half, but shot tamely at the keeper when clean through.

An excellent turn and shot by centre forward Scandrett was superbly turned round his post by the home keeper on 84 minutes as the Scholars piled on the pressure.

In the dying minutes Chasetown goalkeeper Fryer was called upon to tip an effort from Highgate’s Edwards round the post.

The next action for the Scholars Reserves sees them visit Boldmere St Micheals in a Midland Combination Reserve Division fixture on October 24, kicking off at 3pm.

Chasetown: Fryer, Willetts, Hyden, J Elwell, Lewis (c), Billingham, Allen, O’Callaghan, Scandrett, Fletcher, Rock.  Subs: Botley (Allen 67), Thomas, Webster, Ivers (Fletcher 55), Lloyd (Hyden 87).