Oadby Town FC Reserves 2 Chasetown FC Reserves 5

Chasetown FC Reserves continued their recent good form thanks to a Dan Rock first half hat-trick on a blustery afternoon in Leicestershire.

The Scholars kicking down the slope and with the wind behind them began with a sense of purpose and it took only until the sixth minute for them to take the lead. A long ball out of defence was flicked on by Rock, home defender Tomlinson tried to intercept but his weak headed back pass was pounced upon by Jack Scandrett and the in form striker lofted the ball over the head advancing Oadby keeper.

The Scholars didn’t have to wait long for their second, in the 11th minute left back Jamie Elwell’s measured through ball to Rock, saw the Chasetown left winger’s powerful shot beat the home keeper at his near post.

On 19 minutes Chasetown were three up, Tom Ivers’ through ball was missed by Oadby defender Heaney under pressure from Scandrett, which saw the Chasetown centre forward in the clear and he made no mistake in placing the ball over the diving Scott and into the net.

Three minutes later Elwell was again the provider for Chasetown’s fourth as his cross from the left found the head of the Rock who guided the ball into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Oadby forward Jeffers should have pulled a goal back on 25 minutes when Poltney’s cross found the unmarked forward, but he put his header wide from close range.

Poltney then forced debutant Chasetown keeper John Green to tip his shot over from 25 yards and then shortly afterwards Green was called into action again to save low down from an Isufi strike.

However, it was the visitors who concluded the scoring for the half on 41 minutes, Rock’s in-swinging free kick from the right was missed by everyone in the box and found the net for his hat-trick.

The opening chance of the second half saw Oadby’s Pickering put through Poltney whose shot was well saved at his near post by Green in the Scholars goal.

On 52 minutes a misplaced pass in midfield saw Jamie Hawkins try an audacious shot from the halfway line which saw Scott in the home goal manage to scramble back and collect.

On the hour mark, Chris Horton’s long throw caused confusion in the Oadby defence and the ball broke to Chasetown skipper Chris Lewis on the edge of the penalty area, but the defender’s powerful shot bounced back off the Oadby crossbar with the keeper well beaten.

Centre forward Scandrett, seeking his hat-trick, went close with a trio of chances in a 10 minute spell. He volleyed narrowly wide from Rock’s cross and then a short while later he headed just wide from Tom Billingham’s pinpoint cross from the right, and then forced the home keeper to save low down with a powerful strike from inside the penalty area.

In the final ten minutes, Oadby substitute Pickering’s shot was blocked by keeper Green at his near post and then Chasetown substitute Rene Williams poked the ball wide from a Dan O’Callaghan cross.

On 88 minutes a powerful shot from 20 yards by Oadby’s Sabbar was parried by Green and Cully pounced to slot the ball home from close range has the home side finally pulled a goal back.

In the final minute a free kick from the right by Sabbar saw the wind assisted ball sail over the head of Green and into the net for a further consolation for home side.

Next week’s action for the Scholars Reserves sees them entertain Brocton FC Reserves next Saturday (November 28th) in the league, kick off at 3.00pm.

Chasetown: Green, Willetts, Elwell, Lewis (c), Horton, Billingham, Ivers, Daniel O’Callaghan, Scandrett, Hawkins, Rock. Subs: Degville-Cross (Rock 74), Hyden, Williams (Ivers 65), Tom O’Callaghan (Willetts 65), Faultless.