Old Leamingtonians 10 Burntwood 36

Burntwood had a comfortable passage through to the next round of the Midlands Senior Vase following their 36-10 win at Old Leamingtonians in Round Three.

They faced the worst of the weather conditions in the first half and managed to end it in the lead then they dominated the second period, scoring three tries.

For the second week running they were inspired by a player scoring a hat trick of tries. Last week it was Matt Wood – this time it was his fellow half back partner Ollie Whitehouse who took centre stage.

The hosts had taken a seventh minute lead with a penalty before Whitehouse got to work. His first try was a solo effort, breaking from the base of a scrum 45 metres out and making the line. Wood converted to put his side 7-3 up after 13 minutes.

He was over for his second try seven minutes later, nipping over from the base of a ruck close to the home line.

The Leamingtonians’ forwards forced their way over for a try which was converted to reduce the arrears to two points after 20 minutes.

However, Burntwood came back with the try of the game with five minutes of the half left. Wood supported a counter attack by full back Ben Holt from his own half to go over for the touchdown to make it 17-10 at the turnaround.

Fifteen minutes after the restart, Matt Bray collected a loose ball and went in under the posts for a try easily converted by Craig Seedhouse.

Ten minutes later, Whitehouse completed his hat trick from open play, cutting through the home defensive line. Seedhouse converted.

With the tie won, there was still time for skipper Graham Shelley to have the final say in the last minute. After scrummage possession became a maul, Shelley found himself out in the backs and he was able to steam in for his side’s sixth try. Seedhouse converted to wrap up a convincing win.

Burntwood 3rds faced Willenhall 4ths at home and following a tightly-fought contest in difficult conditions, they were pleased to finish 14-5 victors – all the points coming in the first half.

They were forced to field a makeshift front row but overcame the problem with 2 tries by Pete Reynolds, both converted by Craig Addy. The visitors scored their try just before the break.

This Saturday (November 28th) Burntwood resume league action with a trip to Newcastle (Staffs). They will be accompanied by the 3rds whilst the Development XV welcome Newcastle 2nds.

On Sunday morning (November 29th) the U17s host Tamworth, the U15s are at Newcastle and the U13s travel to Stafford – all league fixtures.