Belper Town FC 2 Chasetown FC 0

Chasetown’s President’s Cup campaign came to an end with a 2-0 defeat at Belper Town.

Ross Miller was sent off for the visitors shortly before the end of the first half before Dean Oliver’s two goals in as many minutes for the Nailers dashed the Scholars’ hopes of a home tie against Grantham Town in the third round.

In windy conditions Gary Birch had the first chance for Chasetown which was blocked by home keeper Adam Ogden, who then pushed a 25-yard shot from Ben Steane over the bar.

Chasetown worked hard throughout the half, although Mark Branch was unable to match his strike from Saturday’s last-gasp win over Goole as his latest free kick went straight to Ogden.

Belper’s first chance saw Oliver fire over the bar on 17 minutes before heading a corner just outside the near post.

On 40 minutes a mistake by Miller saw him pull back Ben Walker as he challenged for the ball and referee Dudley showed the defender the red card, but Chasetown refused to allow it to affect them and kept pushing up until the break.

Steane began the second half by firing a cross from the right across the face of goal, but it was the Nailers who took the lead five minutes later.  Despite appearing to be in an offside position, Oliver fired past Price, and the striker added a second as the home side pushed forward straight from the kick-off allowing him to fire calmly into the empty net.

The Scholars were far from beleaguered by the quick-fire double, and Birch was showing some great pace at the front.  On 71 minutes he launched a fine solo run, beating three defenders and looking likely to pull a goal back, but it all came to nothing as he scuffed his shot.

Steane then fired over the bar with Ogden beaten, and the hosts went on the offensive once more but the Chase defence was able to calm the situation down, a left-footed shot from Michael Harcourt saved by Price and substitute Anthony Wilson firing wide.

Young gun Jack Scandrett had Chasetown’s final chance following more good work by Birch but his chance once again went over and the hosts were through.

Chasetown are back in league action this Saturday (November 28th) as they travel to Stamford AFC (3pm kick-off).

Belper: Ogden, Harcourt, Haigh, Naylor, Colliver (c), Adams, Telling, Stevenson, Walker, Oliver, Rushbury.  Subs: Hudson, Wilson (Stevenson 78), Fedorenko (Rushbury 83), Mirfin (Colliver 80), Kearney.
Chasetown: Price, J Branch, M Branch, Miller, Marshall, Teesdale (c), Steane, Egan, Birch, Smith, Farmer.  Subs: Milligan (Farmer 90), Westwood (Steane 83), Scandrett (Smith 78), Thomas, Horton.