Chasetown FC Reserves 2 Heather St John’s FC Reserves 0

Chasetown FC Reserves progressed into the semi-final of the Midland Combination Challenge Trophy with a win against Heather St John’s in new manager Mark Swann’s first game in charge.

The Scholars’ opening chance came in the eighth minute, Daniel O’Callaghan’s shot was blocked on the edge of the area with the rebound falling to Dan Rock who could only drag his shot wide of the far post.

O’Callaghan’s cross then caused confusion in the visitors’ penalty area with White’s half clearance falling to Chad Degville-Cross, but the youngster’s instinctive bicycle kick from the edge of the box went just wide.

Heather had their first real chance on the half hour mark, full back Rendchen played the ball into Walgate’s feet and the powerful striker turned well and shot at goal only to see his fine effort strike the home side’s bar and bounce away to safety.

It was the wake up call the Scholars needed and right winger Degville-Cross was the first to react, picking up the ball on the halfway line and breaking forward before unleashing a 20 yard effort which Heather keeper Brassington did well to hold onto.

In the remaining minutes of the half, both Jack Scandrett and then O’Callaghan came close to opening the scoring, both heading just over from good delivery from wide by the in-form Degville-Cross.

It took only three minutes of the second period for the Scholars to take the lead. A fine move saw Scandrett play in O’Callaghan down the line. He crossed to Degville-Cross on the corner of the penalty area and the youngster didn’t disappoint firing into the top corner of the net past Brassington.

It was nearly two when O’Callaghan‘s corner broke to Jack Hulin, but his low drive through a crowded area was well saved low down by Brassington.

In the 55th minute Scandrett broke clear of Rowell only for the forward to drag his shot past Brassington but also wide of the far post.

Lee Smith’s strike was blocked by defender Roxby with the loose ball falling to Chris Horton, but the centre half ballooned his shot high over the bar from 10 yards as the Scholars cranked up the pressure.

With ten minutes remaining, substitute Lee Wright broke down the wing before squaring the ball to the on rushing Degville-Cross who saw his strike saved by the feet of Brassington.

A minute later Brassington plucked the ball out of the top right hand corner from a Degville-Cross strike from 25 yards.

The visitors should have equalised on 82 minutes, when Belcher’s cross fell to Walgate who lacked composure as he fired over from close range.

Scandrett then forced keeper Brassington to save low down from his strike from a Wright cross, before the Scholars finally cemented their place in the next round in added time with both substitutes combining. Wright once again got to the by-line before cutting the ball back to Smith who powerfully drilled the ball low into the corner of the net.

The Scholars Reserves are next in action on Saturday (December 19) when they visit Barwell in the league, kick off 3pm for their final game before the Christmas break.

Chasetown: Green, Tom O’Callaghan, Farmer, Hulin, Horton, Hawkins (Capt), Meakin-Richards, Daniel O’Callaghan, Scandrett, Degville-Cross, Rock. Subs: Billingham, Smith (Meakin-Richards 67), Willetts, Wright (Rock 67), Lewis.