Family call for blinds to be banned after boy’s death in Lichfield

Harrison Joyce

Harrison Joyce

The family of a three-year-old boy who died after becoming entangled in a cord hanging from a blind have called for a change in the law to prevent similar tragedies.

Harrison Joyce died on February 4 – just days before a 16-month-old girl died in Stafford in similar circumstances.

His family have now launched a campaign for the introduction of Harrison’s Law to ban the sale of dangerous cord blinds in the UK.

On a statement on their website, Harrison’s family wrote:

“Following the recent tragic loss of Harrison it will be an ongoing commitment to get these type of corded systems banned from manufacture in the world.

“These types of cords have been banned from production in the USA following 359 children’s deaths between 1985 and 1995. It is now overdue that the United Kingdom cease the manufacture of these and follow in the sensible footsteps of America and in addition make the population aware of that thousand of these are already fitted in UK homes.”

The family also paid tribute to their “very special and beautiful baby” on the website.

The statement added:

“Harrison Guy Joyce was born on November 12, 2006.  He was a very special and beautiful baby that brought so much love and joy into our lives.

“Sadly Harrison was tragically taken from us. Our lives will never be the same. God bless always to our bundle of love and happiness. We love you always.”

HM Coroner Andrew Haigh has also advised parents to be aware of the dangers posed by blind cords after the deaths of Harrison and the child in Stafford.

15th February, 2010 at 7:28 pm

this is so tragic. The poor little boy, and his family. My boy is 5 days younger than Harrison. I gave him an extra big hug tonight after I read this story.
    Please, any parents, look around your house, and get rid of these blinds.

Others tragic causes of deaths that can be avoided include – parents running small children over with their cars on driveways, and drownings in ponds.

Link here for the Child Safety page on the RoSPA website

2. Ghostliner

15th February, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Where the parents were at the moment? Such lack of responibility should be punished. I don’t believe blinds have attacked the child – someone have installed them there. And forgot to think about child ……

15th February, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I don’t entirely disagree, Ghostliner, and I knew someone would make a comment to that effect sooner or later. However, it was an accident, this family overlooked one detail, it happens, they were not evil and the worst punishment possible for their mistake is now with them, and will be for the rest of their lives.

I have nothing but sympathy and my heart goes out to his Mum and Dad. Their pain will be huge.

4. Asellus aquaticus

16th February, 2010 at 9:40 am

I DO entirely disagree with Ghostliner.

From what I’ve seen of the story there is absolutely no reason to blame the parents. You cannot expect parents to watch every child every second of the day, it is simply not feasible. And it is not a dangerous or callous act to install blinds in your home. I think the Harrison family have enough to deal with without such callous and unwarranted condemnation, and my heart goes out to them.

5. Brownhillsbob

16th February, 2010 at 10:11 am

It’s a modern phenomena that no sooner has news broken of some tragedy, then some armchair judge springs up, ready to apportion ignorant judgement upon an incident they can’t possibly know the intimate details of. It’s a peculiarly modern phenomenon that as soon as some unfortunate family are plunged into what must be the blackest of grief, than some clucking harridan feels the need to add to that darkness.

Ghostliner, shouldn’t you be knitting under a guillotine somewhere?

Bob

6. Asellus aquaticus

16th February, 2010 at 11:19 am

Well said Bob.

I can’t amend it, so I’m going to comment on my own last post as I’ve realised that I was possibly undermining the Joyce family’s message.

It seems that it is indeed an unexpectedly dangerous thing to have these sorts of blinds installed in the home where young children are concerned, however, the millions of us who have them are mostly unaware of these dangers.

I wish Harrison’s family every success in their campaign to raise awareness of the dangers and ideally to have this type of cord banned.

7. J Hunt

18th February, 2010 at 1:38 pm

As a loving parent of 3 who was not born with eyes in the back of my head, I have nothing but sympathy for the Joyce family and there tragic loss.

ALL PARENTS NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE VERY REAL DANGER THAT BLINDS POSE.

PLEASE SUPPORT THE FAMILY BY BACKING HARRISONS LAW, THERE IS A WEBSITE AND A PETITION TO RAISE AWARENESS & STOP THESE NEEDLESS FATALITIES.

THANKYOU

8. Beverley Walker

25th March, 2010 at 6:00 pm

A poor innocent child has died from a tragic ACCIDENT. As a parent it means you raise your children to be as happy as they can be, it is not a parents job to watch them like a hawk 24/7. so instead of people making innappropriate comments think about the feeling of pain and grief of the family. Because if it was one of mine, i would be heart broken!!! Please everyone keep the campaign alive and sign the petition!! If you do one thing today then save a life. From: Bev from Wednesbury.