Firefighters called to blazes in Lichfield and Chase Terrace

A fire engine

A fire engine

Three people have had a lucky escape after house fires in Lichfield and Chase Terrace

Firefighters were called to a house in Maxwell Close just before 5pm on Saturday (February 13) after a pan was left unattended on a cooker.

Then at 11.10pm emergency services received a call about a fire at Richardson Court Sheltered Housing on Chapel Street in Chase Terrace. One appliance from Lichfield and one from Cannock attended the incident which involved a burning towel which had been put into a bin which then also set alight.

And on Sunday, firefighters were called to a fire at a house in Christchurch Lane, Lichfield, at 8.20pm. A 71-year-old man received oxygen therapy at the scene following the blaze caused by an electrical fault in a tumble dryer.

Chief Fire Officer/Chief Executive for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, Peter Dartford, said:

“Even the smallest lapses of concentration have the potential for tragedy. There are inherent dangers in the home, whether it be machinery, flammable materials, electrics, smoking or cooking. Knowledge and awareness of this is crucial to fire safety and we need people to understand that they have a responsibility to themselves and to others.

“Having a working smoke alarm fitted in your property is a life saving decision. Statistics show you are twice as likely to die in a house fire if you don’t have a working alarm. People without smoke alarms in their home are putting their lives and the lives of loved ones in very real danger.

“With our free Home Fire Risk Check Service we can fit alarms free of charge, along with other valuable life-saving equipment.”

To book a Home Fire Risk Check with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service call 0800 0241 999.

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.