Incense sticks blamed for house fire in Lichfield

Incense sticks

Incense sticks

Residents are being warned of the dangers of incense sticks after a house fire in Lichfield.

Firefighters were called to put out a house fire at Tamworth Street in the city after an incense stick, burning faster than normal, had set fire to its wooden holder.

The householder was alerted to the blaze by his smoke alarm and telephoned the emergency services.

Risk Reduction Manager, Carmel Warren, said:

“Incense sticks, or Jos-sticks, should always be used with care and should never be left unattended or be placed close to flammable materials. In this incident the occupier told firefighters the packet of sticks had all burned, unusually, rapidly.

“We would urge everyone to be very careful when using incense sticks. The very nature of incense sticks make them a fire risk and, like candles, if they have to be used they should be handled responsibly and safely, kept away from other items and materials.”

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.