Point for Chasetown FC after they let two-goal lead slip at Carlton Town

Simon Brown fires home the spot kick. Pic: Dave Birt

Simon Brown fires home the spot kick. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC should have been out of sight before allowing Carlton Town to claw back a 2-0 deficit and earn a point in a mid-table encounter.

The Scholars took the lead in the 13th minute when Simon Brown was fouled and smashed the resultant penalty straight down the middle himself.

Jack Farmer headed a whisker wide of the target two minutes later, before Chasetown doubled their lead when Nick Wellecomme’s strength held off a defender and he fired beyond Jonathan Viscosi and in off the right-hand post.

As Farmer had done minutes earlier, Tesfa Robinson was also agonisingly close to the target with a header. The next chance also fell the way of The Scholars as Brown and Wellecomme combined for Jack Lees who missed the target from close range.

Wellecomme was the instigator of much of what Chasetown were doing well and his neat pass to Joe Halsall saw the midfielder fire narrowly wide of the target.

Nick Wellecomme makes it 2-0 to Chasetown. Pic: Dave Birt

Nick Wellecomme makes it 2-0 to Chasetown. Pic: Dave Birt

Despite their overwhelming dominance, the visitors allowed the Millers back into the game and they reduced the deficit from a set piece though on 25 minutes. Alex Troke’s free kick eluded everyone except Grant Brindley, who had pulled away at the far post and steered a header beyond Danny Watson.

Chasetown kept attacking and Viscosi denied Lees, Brown and Wellecomme again, before the home side drew level just after the half hour. Bradley Munn’s cross found Brindley whose shot was kept out by Watson at close range, before the second phase of the attack saw Jordan Villums cross for skipper Troke who pinged a lovely low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Viscosi denied Lees his first Chasetown goal with Wellecomme firing the rebound over the bar as the Scholars looked to regain the lead.

Joe Halsall comes under pressure. Pic: Dave Birt

Joe Halsall comes under pressure. Pic: Dave Birt

Ironically, it was Carlton who could have gone in ahead at half-time as Troke’s free kick crashed against Watson’s crossbar in the closing minutes of the half.

Full back Farmer went close with two more headers from corners, but the second half failed to live up to the dominance that Chasetown had in the first.

Wellecomme forced another save from Viscosi before being replaced by Luke Chapman who almost scored with his first touch, stretching to reach the ball and getting a toe on it which deceived Viscosi who had to react well to get down to his right to push away.

Chasetown ended the game with ten men after Aaron Hooton broke clear and Slater was adjudged to have fouled the striker as he headed towards goal.

Carlton Town: Viscosi, Keane (MacVicar, 76 mins), Torr, Troke, Brindley, Baker, Thornton, Elliott, Munn, Hooten (Brothwell, 82 mins), Villums (B Bennett, 67 mins)
Subs not used: Ball, Campbell.
Chasetown: Watson, Farmer, Johnson, Slater, Robinson, Halsall, Butler, Bragoli, Wellecomme (Chapman, 78 mins), Lees, (Stephens, 78 mins), Brown. Subs not used: Evans, MacDonald, D Bennett.

Click below for more of Dave Birt’s photographs from the game: