Ribbon officially cut on new Lichfield skatepark facility

A pro skater tries out Lichfield's new skatepark

A pro skater tries out Lichfield’s new skatepark

Lichfield’s new skatepark has had its official opening.

The ribbon was cut on the Beacon Park facility by the chairman of Lichfield District Council, Cllr David Leytham.

“It’s so important that young people have venues available to encourage them to go outside and get active, so it gave me great pleasure to launch Beacon Park’s fantastic new skatepark.

“I am sure it will be enjoyed by generations of skaters for many years to come, and I hope everyone takes pride in it and helps us to keep it a pleasant place for all.”

Following the ribbon cutting, the crowd was treated to a skating display by Gravity pro skaters.

The advertising sign in the skatepark bowl. Pic: @PetarGreen

The advertising sign in the skatepark bowl. Pic: @PetarGreen

Councillor Andy Smith, Lichfield District Council’s Cabinet Member for Leisure & Parks, added: “The skating was amazing and really showed what can be achieved on the ramps after plenty of practice.”

However, skaters were joined by an unusual set of wheels the day after the ribbon cutting when an advertising sign fell into one of the bowls.

The trailer carrying a banner for the visit of a circus to Lichfield led to part of the skatepark being roped off.

1. A Cynical Parody

8th April, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Clowns!

2. Darryl

8th April, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Passed the skate park at the weekend and it appeared to be exceedingly busy. Seems like it was a long overdue addition to the town.

Now, about that cinema…

3. Cynic

8th April, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I see the anti social behaviour has already started.
    Could the users keep an eye/ear open and report the culprits to the police?

4. Cynic

9th April, 2014 at 3:58 pm

The red marks could explain why the crime rates have increased – Feb13/Feb14 – .
    I wonder if any of those that have red marked could explain why you would not report criminal activity? Apart from the obvious reason!

5. Asellus aquaticus

9th April, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I voted you red Cynic. On what basis did you claim that the antisocial behaviour had “already started”?

Or are you just being miserable about the skate park and people enjoying themselves as usual?

Demonstrate to me your evidence for an increase in antisocial behaviour that is clearly attributable to the skatepark and I’ll gladly remove my ‘red mark’

6. Cynic

10th April, 2014 at 12:01 am

“Asellus aquaticus”
    If you care to read the media you will see reports of litter that needs cleaning each day and damaged plants/shrubs around the skate area. Plus the damage reported above – with part of the area closed for repairs.
    Red mark all you like – its your choice.
    I would have thought the users would have been only to glad to help report criminal actions.

7. A Cynical Parody

10th April, 2014 at 6:36 am

Its the Garrick all over again. Another white elephant – only with little wheels, terrible haircuts, ill-fitting clothes and young people!

8. Asellus aquaticus

10th April, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Cynic – so you’re claiming that a bit of circus tent that fell off is the fault of the skaters?

9. Cynic

10th April, 2014 at 7:20 pm

“Asellus aquaticus” You are now trying to get out of the hole you are digging.
    Point me to a post where I have stated the antisocial behaviour is down to a particular group!!

I have suggested the users might be able to help the community by keeping an eye/ear open.

The “circus tent” is a trailer and I have not stated who caused the damage.
    I do like a debate but try and stick to facts.

10. Asellus aquaticus

11th April, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Yes mea culpa, it was a circus trailer, not a ‘bit of circus tent’. Like that’s really relevant to the issue.

Just to spell it out, the reason for my red mark, Cynic, was not that I disagreed that crime should be reported, it’s because where I saw a positive article about a popular new feature in Beacon Park, you saw an opportunity to complain about how awful everything is. I suspect that I’m not alone.

11. Cynic

12th April, 2014 at 1:23 pm

“Asellus aquaticus” It is relevant because – a bit of a tent is unlikely to make much damage and it is important the reader gets as much info as possible.
    I hope you do not drive as it clearly shows a trailer in text and picture.

My article spelt out we needed help – but you preferred to condemn it because of my name – very bright! It would have been far better, for the community, for you to also call for their help.
    Even now you have not clearly asked for AS/Crimes to be reported.

I don’t recall being anti skate area.

I do condemn the anti social and criminal damage but I can see that those of limited education would find it easier to use the tick boxes

12. Narf

18th April, 2014 at 1:25 pm

From experience within the police, it appears the skaters who use the park actually look after the area and treat it well. The problems arise once it gets dark. An area has provided for young people to gather, away from houses and (most importantly) lighting and that’s when the trouble starts.
    I’m all for the idea of the park – it has already reduced the number of skaters in town and on the car parks and the sheer number of people there on an average day proves how popular it truly is – however, the location and lack of overnight security will be the ultimate downfall. The costs already incurred by the parks team (and ultimately the tax payer) in replanting and repairs are quite substantial and it’s something that cannot continue, so I’m left wondering exactly what the future of the skate park will be.