Second half double earns Chasetown FC victory at Spalding United

Nathan Waite's effort beats the Spalding keeper. Pic: Dave Birt

Nathan Waite’s effort beats the Spalding keeper. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC dazzled their hosts Spalding United with a brilliant second half display to come away with all three points.

The Scholars made an average start to the game and after just seven minutes Simon Brown picked out Nick Wellecomme from the right, but the Chase number nine was unable to get a good connection on the ball which skewed along the six-yard box and back out to Brown, who was unable to keep the ball from crossing for a goal kick.

Spalding keeper Michael Duggan then made a stunning save to keep out a Brown free kick. The midfielder’s effort was delicately floated over the wall and was heading to the top corner, but somehow Duggan managed to get across and clawed the ball out.

The Tulips then took control of the game and John Bateman was called into action when Tom Waumsley timed his run to avoid the offside trap and fired straight at the Chasetown stopper who still did well to beat the ball away to safety.

Then, Bateman made an even better save as Lewis Webb forced him into a low save to his right, which looked like it was heading back into the danger area before right back Jermaine Johnson hooked the ball clear for a corner.

Brown volleyed wide just before half-time but, on the whole, Chasetown were second best in the first period.

After the break though, it was like a different Scholars team had taken the field. The pace had quickened up, the passing was crisper and that resulted in the opening goal just five minutes into the second period.

Following good build up play, Brown floated the ball over to the far post where an unmarked Lee Parsons volleyed the ball back across goal and Nathan Waite stabbed out a leg to turn the ball home from close range – his first goal for the club after signing from Tividale.

Waite came alive after his opener and curled a beautiful cross into the path of Wellecomme who got slightly underneath the ball and put his header over the bar from close range.

Danny Edwards stoops to score. Pic: Dave Birt

Danny Edwards stoops to score. Pic: Dave Birt

Duggan kept out Brown’s low shot and then Waite fed Wellecomme who turned sharply and Duggan made a superb save to keep out the effort and hold on with Lee Butler ready to pounce to tap in any rebound.

As Chasetown continued to dominate and press high up the pitch, Wellecomme nipped around the goalkeeper but couldn’t get enough purchase on the ball trying to dig it out from under his feet on a tricky surface and Tulips skipper Michael Leary was able to clear off the line.

Eventually, the killer second goal came. Again, rapid build-up play saw Butler receive the ball on the right and with three players to pick out he curled the ball perfectly onto the head of Danny Edwards who finished confidently from close range to complete The Scholars’ fifth win over the Lincolnshire side in five league games.

Chasetown will look to make it two wins on the bounce when they entertain Tividale on Bank Holiday Monday, kick-off 3pm.

Chasetown: Bateman, Johnson, Ravenhill, Slater, Robinson, Downes, Brown (Danny J Edwards 73 mins), Parsons, Wellecomme (McDonald, 90 mins), Waite, Davies (Butler, 65 mins). Subs not used: Evans, George.
Spalding United: Duggan, Bore, Jackson, Miller, Leary, Webb, Grifiths, Hall, Tidswell, Waumsley, Thurlbourne. Subs not used: Burbeary, McKue, Ebdon, Roberts.

Click below to see more of Dave Birt’s pictures from the game: