FA Cup replay after Chasetown FC draw 1-1 at Newcastle Town

Nick Wellecomme puts Chasetown FC in front. Pic: Dave Birt

Nick Wellecomme puts Chasetown FC in front. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC will have to do it all again after an FA Cup draw against Staffordshire rivals Newcastle Town.

The Scholarshad the early territorial advantage but it was the home side that had the only real shot on target in the opening few minutes – an effort by skipper Tim Sanders straight down the throat of keeper John Bateman.

The visitors’ first real attempt came from an in-swinging free-kick from Dexter Ravenhill from wide on the right and Nick Wellecomme was narrowly wide of the post after a Newcastle head could only partially clear the ball.

Neither side looked likely to break the deadlock in the first period with Adam Alcock making a routine save from Simon Brown and Stewart Osborne flashed a long range shot well wide of the post.

Just before the break, Newcastle had a great opportunity to take the lead with Ben Mills bearing down on goal with just Bateman to beat, but Jermaine Johnson flew in with a last-ditched tackle to bring way the ball before the home striker could shoot.

After the interval, Chasetown got the ball down well and started to dominate again and fashioned a good early chance in the second half. Nathan Waite found space on the left hand edge of the Newcastle area, looked up and chipped a delightful cross to the far post, narrowly over the head of Wellecomme onto the header of Lee Parsons who was a whisker over the crossbar from 12 yards.

Neville Brown levels the scores. Pic: Dave Birt

Neville Brown levels the scores. Pic: Dave Birt

A replay was looking the most likely result though throughout the second period until Waite outmuscled his marker and slipped a neat through ball to Wellecomme who calmly slid the ball beyond Alcock to give Chasetown a 76th minute lead.

It was all or nothing for the hosts and for a five minute spell they created a few quick chances to put Craig Harris’ men under pressure. Firstly, Bateman kicked away an effort from Matt Lowe, and then pushed aside efforts from Ben Mills and Tim Sanders.

It was therefore no surprise when Newcastle did find a way through. Quick passing left Neville Thompson a chance inside the penalty area and a ferocious shot off the underside of the bar left Bateman no chance this time.

Chasetown almost nicked a winner when Parsons’ cross-cum-shot had to be palmed over by Alcock in the dying minutes so it will take Tuesday’s replay to determine who travels to Rugby Town on September 13.

Newcastle Town: Alcock, Askey, Bridge (Gordon, 84 mins), Ashman, Parkinson, Lowe, Urwin, Osborne (Cole, 64 mins), Mills, Sanders, Thompson. Subs not used: Dickin.
Chasetown: Bateman, Evans, Ravenhill, Slater, Johnson, Downes, Brown, Parsons, Wellecomme, Waite (Bottomer, 85 mins), Davies (Butler, 83 mins). Subs not used: Moore, Darlison, McDonald, Edwards, Pond.

Click below to see more of Dave Birt’s pictures from the game: