Chasetown FC sink to heavy defeat against free-scoring Mickleover Sports

Karl Demidh squeezes the ball home past the Chasetown backline. Pic: Dave Birt

Karl Demidh squeezes the ball home past the Chasetown backline. Pic: Dave Birt

Mickleover Sports were extremely good value for their three points at The Scholars Ground with a comprehensive performance that left Chasetown chasing the game for most of the 90 minutes.

Despite the eventual scoreline, the hosts were almost ahead inside the first minute when Danny Edwards slipped the ball through to Lee Parsons but Chris Martin was quick off his line to smother the danger.

Sports responded well and were awarded a penalty kick when Callum Lloyd was sent tumbling and the referee tried to play advantage but ensured the spot kick was eventually awarded. Karl Demidh smashed the penalty towards the top corner only for John Bateman to pull off a phenomenal full stretch save to deny the Sports number 10.

Chasetown’s escape was short-lived, though, as Karl Ashton headed home the resultant corner to give the Derbyshire side the lead.

Chances were coming thick and fast and Nathan Waite headed over a Lee Downes cross for the Scholars, before Simon Brown cleared off the line when Bateman was beaten by Demidh’s effort.

Bateman made a double save to deny Anthony Griffiths and Karl Ashton, before Chasetown forced Martin into his first real challenge when Waite bullied his way past two defenders, got his shot away towards the top corner and Martin clawed the ball wide for a corner.

Ashley Grayson makes it 4-0 to complete Chasetown's misery. Pic: Dave Birt

Ashley Grayson makes it 4-0 to complete Chasetown’s misery. Pic: Dave Birt

That aside, there were only two Brown free kicks which threatened the visitors who went in 2-0 up in the final minute of the first half when Ashton steered home his second goal of the game.

Any half-time talk of a comeback from manager Craig Harris was quickly knocked back at the start of the second half as Mickleover added a third goal with barely a minute on the clock at the start of the second period. Chasetown were unable to clear a cross from Griffiths and both Lloyd and Demidh were on hand with Demidh firing home from close range.

That was a knockout blow for the home side which left Sports in total control of the game and looking more likely to add to their tally. Substitute Chris Palmer struck the woodwork with an effort beyond Bateman.

Martin made a stunning save to deny Downes what would have been a mere consolation goal, but Mickleover wrapped up a four-goal winning margin with a neat passing movement into substitute Ashley Grayson who dinked the ball over Bateman as the Chase keeper advanced.

To compound Chasetown’s misery even further, teenage centre back Alex Dallison received his marching orders in the final few minutes for something he said to the official.

Chasetown: Bateman, Evans, Ravenhill (Beckett, 64 mins), Slater, Dallison, Downes, Brown (Butler, 71 mins), Parsons (Lees, 71 mins), Edwards, Waite, Davies. Subs not used: Theo Robinson, Pond.
Mickleover Sports: Martin, Bryant, Grocott, Walshe, Wiley, Degirolamo, Dales (Esposito, 71 mins), Lloyd, Ashton (Grayson, 56 mins), Demidh, Griffiths. Subs not used: Palmer, Dawkins, Graham.

Click below to see more of Dave Birt’s pictures from the game: