Burntwood RUFC lay down a marker with another bonus point win

Burntwood RUFC followed up their opening day bonus point win with another one to set the early pace in Midlands 3 West North after two games.

Rob Jones is tackled. Pic: Joanne Gough

Rob Jones is tackled. Pic: Joanne Gough

They ran in eight tries again, this time from seven different scorers, and added five conversions from skipper Ben Holt and a penalty goal from Owen Rookyard.

It was Rookyard who opened the scoring with the first two tries of the afternoon, the first coming after five minutes. Good approach play down the slope ended in a 22m drop out from which Luke Rookyard featured in an attack to feed Danny Duggan who then put Owen Rookyard away to the bottom corner.

From the restart Duggan made a run to half way before feeding his co-centre who weaved his way through the opposition defence to touch down under the posts for Holt to add the conversion.
Bloxwich’s first venture into the visitors’ 22 came after 15 minutes. They kicked a penalty to the corner but lost line out possession, the ball being cleared with the assistance of Sean Latham who broke to the 22 and then earned a penalty.

Burntwood responded with Tom O’Brien going close from a chip through and then Holt slid a penalty goal attempt left of the posts. In fact their next score came via a Bloxwich attack. Duggan intercepted a pass on his own 22 and raced clean away to the posts for a try converted by Holt.

Owen Rookyard concluded the first half scoring with a well-struck penalty on 29 minutes although the visitors’ defence had to stand firm against a series of close range drives near their own line in the period up to the break.

Danny Duggan bursts through a challenge. Pic: Joanne Gough

Danny Duggan bursts through a challenge. Pic: Joanne Gough

Rob Jones made a good break early in the second half to keep Burntwood in the ascendancy, even when they lost Ross Bedworth to a yellow card for a late tackle.

Just as Bedworth returned, the hosts temporarily went down to 14 due to a deliberate knock-on and Burntwood capitalised on their advantage with three tries.

A good passing move right and then left was finished off by Luke Rookyard with a try in the top corner. Direct from the restart, Alan Mapp, Josh Canning and Latham combined to send Holt on a weaving run across field. When tackled, he offloaded to replacement Darryll Organ who crashed over under the posts for Holt to convert.

Latham featured again from the kick off to instigate another attack. The ball was moved to O’Brien who fended off a tackler in a strong run down the touchline to the corner for a well earned try.

Another spell of Bloxwich pressure was resisted before Burntwood added to their lead on 70 minutes. A penalty award took them into the home 22. Organ went close to his second try before prop forward Dave Ward barged his way over the line near the posts Holt converted.

Another good attack from the restart saw Bedworth break a tackle on halfway and beat the full back for a try to take his side past the half century. Holt completed the tally with the conversion.

There was just time for Bloxwich to break their duck with a try from a quickly taken penalty. A chip to the corner was cleverly flicked up from foot to hand for the consolation score.

Burntwood 2nds found Leek 2nds too strong at The Sportsway, despite a late rally, and went down 51-21. However, the colts overwhelmed Ledbury on Sunday by 52-0.

This week Burntwood host Willenhall who have also opened their league campaign with two wins out of two. The clubs’ second strings meet at Bognop Road – both matches kick off at 3pm.