Lichfield RUFC 2nds come out on top in tight battle against Burntwood RUFC

A Saturday without league or cup games allowed Burntwood RUFC to entertain the second string from neighbours Lichfield at The Sportsway.

An entertaining contest went the way of the visitors by five tries to four.

The first period belonged to Lichfield. They established a 22 point lead and could have scored more but a converted try by the hosts close to half time set up a very different second half.

Direct from the kick off Lichfield were in the home 22 assisted by a couple of penalty awards. Excellent defence kept them out but another penalty award for a scrummage offence on the Burntwood ten metre line led to the first score after eight minutes.

The visitors moved the ball quickly through the hands for a try in the clubhouse corner.

The hosts worked their way into the game via a series of pick and go’s over half way but another infringement saw Lichfield take the penalty quickly and two passes later the right winger was away down the touchline for a ten point lead on 24 minutes.

Three minutes later and their big outside centre avoided two tackles to cross the line near the posts for a converted try.

Another try scoring opportunity was spurned when the Lichfield right winger dropped a pass with the line at his mercy but it was only a temporary reprieve as shortly afterwards the Lichfield pack drove over from five metres for a try close to half time.

Burntwood’s first venture into the visitors’ 22 came five minutes into added time. A penalty was kicked to the corner. The catch and drive attempt was held up but from the ensuing scrum Ian Jones fed brother Rob who touched down in the right corner. Owen Rookyard landed a fine conversion.

Being a club fixture, both sides shuffled their line-ups for the second half but it seemed to make little difference to Lichfield as they were quickly on the attack again and were twice close to adding to their lead in the first minute.

However, a strong run by Burntwood replacement Daryll Organ over halfway seemed to spread renewed belief in his side and they mounted a spell of pressure in the visitors’ 22. It was finished off with a break by Rookyard who fed Jones for his second try in the right corner.

Burntwood pegged the deficit back to just three points on the hour mark. They seized on a Lichfield error to link well in midfield with Rookyard and Matt Sishton prominent before skipper Ben Holt ran clean through to the posts for a try which he also converted.

Lichfield reintroduced their replacements which produced a converted try with ten minutes left.

Burntwood hit back, forcing the visitors to infringe and the penalty was kicked to the clubhouse corner. Sean Brennan took the line out and Lichfield infringed again as the pack drove for the line.

The line out option was taken again which saw Rob Jones go close to a hat trick try. Play was brought back for another penalty and Ross Bedworth fed Club Captain Sishton for a try in the left corner.

With time up, Burntwood mounted one last attack via Holt’s break and Organ’s thrusting run but a forward pass heralded the final whistle to conclude an ultimately enjoyable contest.

The only other senior side in action were the 3rd XV who just lost out to St Leonard’s away 17-10.

This Saturday Burntwood resume league action with a trip to Clee Hill. The 2nds are in merit table action away to Walsall 3rds and the colts, like the 1sts, also have a long trip on Sunday when they travel to Church Stretton.

In the 2nd Round of the RFU Senior Vase competition Burntwood have been drawn to play Loughborough away on November 28.