Councillor warns cars parked at Burntwood junction will lead to a serious accident

A Burntwood councillor has demanded action after warning that problem parking will lead to a serious accident.

Cars parked up near the junction of Ring Road and the A5190 Cannock Road mean that lorries turning out of the nearby industrial estate are struggling to negotiate the busy corner.

Cllr Eric Drinkwater says that the way the vehicles are parked means drivers cannot see oncoming traffic.

Councillor Eric Drinkwater with some of the parked cars on Ring Road in Burntwood

“This problem has been building for some time now,” he said. “But last week an articulated lorry blocked both roads as the driver was unable to negotiate the corner.

“Even more worryingly, drivers are completely unsighted as they approach the bank of parked cars from either end and I fear that accidents are just waiting to happen.”

The issue has been reported to Staffordshire Police and the highways department at Staffordshire County Council.

“I want to see some action fast before someone is seriously injured,” Cllr Drinkwater added.

1. Mark

9th November, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I use this road every day. And you do see some aggressive behaviour from drivers as they don’t give way. It’s not there fault I suppose but there is all ways ques at this junction. Even worse when two lorries park there. I must say the hole road is a recepy for a serious accident and I do stress my concern.

2. Paul Randall

10th November, 2015 at 9:56 am

They built the bypass then still left the road open!
    Should have blocked the road at Sankeys and pedestrianised the shopping centre years ago!
    It is much quicker to use the original road compared to the bypass so people will continue to use it !

3. Darryl

10th November, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Section 22 of the Road Traffic Act is very broad, the police could do something if it is a danger.

4. Francis B

12th November, 2015 at 11:22 am

Dear Mark,

I do apologise, but I’ve been drawn to down-vote your comment. You seem to have fallen victim to the old ‘homophone’ peril. I fear there appears to be a shortfall of dictionaries available in the area – for this, I’m sure your neighbours in Lichfield would be happy to donate a couple for you and your friends.

Remember, it’s ‘their’ when discussing someone’s ownership of blame. ‘Always’ is a whole single word, not two. ‘Queues’ has two Us and Es, and ‘whole’ has a silent H which should always be written but not be pronounced. You wouldn’t want to look silly now would you? That would be a recepy for disaster… or should that be receipe?

Yours,
    Francis.

5. Francis B

12th November, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’ve just had a chat with my old pal Samuel Johnson, he’s agreed to donate a handful of his fine dictionaries to the people of WS7.

No need to thank me.

Yours,
    Francis.

6. Francis B

12th November, 2015 at 11:25 am

Drat! I meant silent W. One requires more coffee this morn.

I shall down-vote my own comment.