Burntwood RUFC survive late scare to see off Edwardians

Burntwood survived an Edwardians’ penalty goal attempt with the last kick of the game to make it back to back wins in M3WN.

Daryll Organ crosses for a try. Pic: Joanne Gough

Daryll Organ crosses for a try. Pic: Joanne Gough

Despite an error-strewn first half the hosts led 14-12. They stretched this lead to nine points with ten minutes left but in the end they were thankful that the Eds’ kickable goal attempt slid right of the target.

The first period followed a familiar pattern for Burntwood as they had to play catch-up rugby having conceded early points to the opposition. A week earlier against Eccleshall the deficit was ten points, against Eds it was twelve.

Ben Holt’s side pressed from the kick off but when Eds cleared downfield the ball bounced kindly for their chasing players. Two passes later and the left winger outstripped the cover for a try in the left corner after just three minutes.

Ben Holt tried to break up an attack. Pic: Joanne Gough

Ben Holt tried to break up an attack. Pic: Joanne Gough

Burntwood responded with a Craig Seedhouse drop goal attempt which was off target. Then Aza Dunet was almost away down the right only to be well-tackled.

However, the home side were making too many handling and passing errors to create any momentum.

After half an hour of a frustrating play for the home camp, Edwardians moved further ahead. A close range penalty award was tapped and a neat slip pass created a try under the posts to make the conversion a formality.

Burntwood were now in need of an urgent reply and it came just a minute later. Replacements Neil Holden and Daryll Organ made instant impacts, the former with a big tackle to win possession and the latter by stretching over for a try after bursting through the defensive line. Dunet converted.

Holden was prominent again close to half time with a strong run down the left after Eds had turned over possession behind their own scrum. A sustained attack moving right and then back left saw Organ, Alan Mapp and Dunet all go close before scrum half Brett Taylor darted over in the clubhouse corner. Dunet added a superb conversion to take the lead and conclude the half.

The hosts conceded ground due to repeated infringements early in the second period but the score remained unaltered until the 58th minute. The Eds kicker landed a penalty from midway out on the left having missed a long range attempt on 45 minutes.

Burntwood regained the lead from the restart. A penalty award was kicked to the left corner. Organ was denied from the catch and drive but he earned a penalty which Dunet slotted for 17-15.

Burntwood stayed on top for the next ten minutes. First they stole an Edwardians’ scrummage to set Rob Jones away into their 22. Luke Rookyard kept the pressure on to earn a penalty. Seedhouse kicked to the corner and another probing attack was finally finished off by Seedhouse himself as the visitors ran out of defenders. Dunet converted and Burntwood looked home and dry.

Daryll Organ spots a gap in the line. Pic: Joanne Gough

Daryll Organ spots a gap in the line. Pic: Joanne Gough

However, a mistake at the restart allowed Eds to take play up to the home five metre line. They opted for a scrum at a penalty award and after a re-set their impressive No. 8 barged over for a converted try.

With one score in it and time running out, Eds got into the home half courtesy of a penalty kick down the line. Then the hosts were penalised for not releasing in the tackle and the kicker had the chance to clinch the game from a similar position to earlier but this time he was just off target, much to the relief of the home camp.

There were no other games for the senior sides on Saturday but on Sunday the colts beat Birmingham/Solihull Bees 19-5 at The Sportsway.

This Saturday Burntwood play their RFU KO Cup 2nd Round tie away to Loughborough who currently sit top of Midlands 3 East North. The 3rds welcome Bloxwich 2nds to The Sportsway. On Sunday the colts are in league action away to Ledbury.