Homes in Lichfield without power after large fire at electricity substation on Eastern Avenue

Homes and businesses in Lichfield have been without power after a large fire at an electricity substation.

The blaze happened at a site behind the Esso petrol station on Eastern Avenue just before 9pm yesterday (December 2).

Graham Mills, from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We faced a significant fire at the location, the substation has highly combustable materials within it and we will remain on site throughout the night to ensure the fire does not reignite.”

Investigators say they currently do not know what started the blaze.

David Bailey, from Staffordshire Police, said: “Officers stayed on duty to support the operation and direct those affected. Thankfully no evacuations have been necessary.”

Residents are warned that fresh power cuts could happen as repair and investigation work is carried out in the substation.

Neil Turner, from Lichfield District Council, said: “All the services worked extremely hard to deal with all the issues overnight.

“I hope residents understand the efforts being made to return the situation to normal as quickly as possible.

“We expect some homes and business to remain without power throughout the night and colleagues at Western Power are working hard to reconnect homes as quickly as possible. There will be some additional power cuts as the services are brought back online.”

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.

3 Comments

  1. JCJ

    3rd December, 2015 at 8:37 am

    Thanks to all the engineers who worked on this over night in horrible weather. I believe power came back on around 3am.

    It was fun we actually had to talk to each other face to face instead of room to room. Some had Mugface withdrawal symptoms as the WiFI and 3G signals were out. The dog wasn’t bothered at all, I was quite happy. That was a night worth of cost savings on electricity I didn’t have to pay for.

    The 10million watt camping light we only ever used once when we went camping in Wales paid for its self at long last. Thats an experience I don’t want to repeat, camping on the top of a cliff with a storm front heading in, the tent flapping about like a toddler in a tantrum. I was surprised we didn’t take off and land in Ireland. However it worked and the lounge room was lit brighter than the electric lights that went off earlier.

    Met the neighbours too. They wanted to borrow some toilet roll so that was nice.

  2. Toast of Lichfield

    3rd December, 2015 at 8:56 am

    Congratulations JCJ, you’ve just won LichfieldLive Comment of The Year!

  3. Darryl

    3rd December, 2015 at 10:21 am

    Every incident like this makes me concerned about continued efforts to reduce fire and rescue services to retained status.

    Worth every penny.