Problem parking the “top priority” for Lichfield residents’ group

A Lichfield residents’ group says tackling problem parking is its “top priority”.

Cars parked around the Beacon Street area. Pic: BSARA

Cars parked around the Beacon Street area. Pic: BSARA

Beacon Street Area Residents’ Association (BSARA) say a number of locals have raised concerns about issues with on-street parking.

They say special events in the city, the number of properties without off-street parking and roads being used by people other than residents are causing problems in the area.

“We have made direct contact with the Traffic Regulation Officer in Stafford and are at present working through the documentation supplied about resident parking schemes.

“We appreciate the extreme difficulties that residents are experiencing with unlawful and inconsiderate parking and te unavailability of parking for themselves. BSARA has made this our top priority.”

BSARA say they are also hoping to arrange a meeting with county councillors Terry Finn and Caroline Wood to discuss the issues.

1. Thornton

14th December, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Which streets are affected and on which days?

2. Guy Heathcote

14th December, 2015 at 7:20 pm

I live in Beacon Street and find that during the week, Monday – Friday, finding a parking space outside my house is very difficult and very inconvenient and I find myself parking on Morrisons car park or around the corner in Wheel Lane, which then no doubt creates problems for Wheel Lane residents. I am sure this problem is created as staff from the nursery who park on the road leaving their own private car park available for parents delivering/collecting their children. I’m sure their car park is busy at drop off time and collection time but for most of the day it’s mostly empty. Often when I come home for lunch there are no parking spaces available. I don’t think that events in town have any effect on parking in the upper Beacon Street area, except maybe on Bower Day, I can only suggest that the nursery is the cause of the issue. It boils my blood that the staff take all the spaces on the road, they should use their car park.

3. Thornton

15th December, 2015 at 8:03 pm

@Guy. Do you not have your own designated parking space for your home? Surely the council wouldn’t mind the residents taking part of the road for parking just like they do on Wade Street.

4. Guy Heathcote

16th December, 2015 at 8:17 am

Sadly not. My neighbour has recently started the ball rolling with the council (Stafford council strangely) to implement just that. The nursery must take 5-10 parking spaces daily, frustratingly they are also dreadful at parking and regularly leave half a cars length between their cars so they can pull out more easily!

5. Thornton

17th December, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Well I’m glad your neighbour is trying to sort something. I’m sure the problem will be resolved if it’s raised with the council.

6. Mike

17th December, 2015 at 10:43 pm

This is a problem that is coming apparent on a lot of streets. Our own street has had 17 homes built on it in the last 15 years, all provided with one parking space. So when houses are rented there aren’t enough to go round and we end up with a line of cars along the street, parked half on the pavement and opposite other cars so that passing through becomes difficult for vans etc. The problem is it gets ignored. Look at the lengths they had to go to on Shortbutts Lane before they finally had traffic calming measure in place.

7. JCJ

18th December, 2015 at 8:30 am

Same problem on City Wharf except the management company has imposed fines in the allocated carpark if you park without a permit. The result is an empty car park and the street full of cars.

8. Hunslet

20th December, 2015 at 8:03 pm

The parking around Gaia lane and Cathedral Rise is also a nightmare. There are some yellow lines which just means that cars are parked where there are no restrictions.Usually cars are parked half on the road and half on the path.

9. Toast of Lichfield

21st December, 2015 at 9:59 am

It’s a citywide problem I’m afraid folks. Nobody who works in the city wants to pay for the car parks if their company doesn’t have a private car park, so we end up with cars being dumped in the residential streets that fringe the centre. The only solution is turning troubled roads into resident permit parking, e.g. like they’ve done on Lombard Street recently. This will force commuters to either catch public transport in or pony-up for season passes for the council car parks. Though somehow I’m sure they’ll all find somewhere else to park for free…

10. StreetParker

31st December, 2015 at 11:18 am

“We appreciate the extreme difficulties that residents are experiencing with unlawful and inconsiderate parking” as someone who frequently parks within this street I find the terms unlawful and inconsiderate to be both exaggerated and incorrect, I would go as far as stating these are downright lies, made by residents who feel they are obliged to constantly have both a clear drive and street, where themselves and a chosen few, are the only people entitled to park within this street.

Although i understand that it may be difficult or frustrating for them to park if someone is outside their house, I think they seriously need to re-evaluate their values. People are simply trying to park a vehicle, which they probably spend enough time in anyway to simply get to work and earn a decent living. If this is causing distress for those who live in the street, and they have the time to kick up such a fuss of calling a local website, propagating untruthful and incorrect statements, all I can conclude is they simply have nothing better to focus their time on, and should maybe go out more.

I feel I should also inform readers of the tactics employed by residents to try and get people to move their vehicles, this varies from shouting at people and then winding up their windows (ironic given the comments regarding nurseries) to slamming peoples car doors and finally, the most extreme and dangerous, pouring oil over a friend of mines car which went on to affect his brakes, this is baring in mind that his vehicle was parked in a completely un-obstructive way, not blocking anyones drive nor making it difficult for them to park on their drive.

So having provided an insight into the world of “unlawful and inconsiderate” parkers, I urge readers and publicists to take a minute and think, are these really people that we want to support? And should this article have ever been published? Or maybe it should have but with a completely different headline and view…

11. BSARA

31st December, 2015 at 1:34 pm

BSARA do appreciate the extreme difficulties that both residents and motorists are experiencing with on street parking, it is compounded by the parking charges in Lichfield City which does seem to encourage motorists to park in streets surrounding the city for free. It is acknowledged motorists do pay their road tax and are entitled to park on highway land, but it would be nice if consideration was made for local residents. The highway code does clearly state what constitutes illegal parking and this has been observed on numerous occasions within the BSARA area.

BSARA do not condone or support residents who are abusive or act illegally and would suggest that the incidents quoted by streetparker should have been reported to the Police.

BSARA have made direct contact with the Traffic Regulation Officer at Stafford and have submitted an expression of interest for having residents parking schemes for the area. If this is to progress the support of all residents is vital and for those without off street parking may well result in them having to contribute towards the scheme costs. It is planned to have discussions with the County Council in the New Year.

The proposed growth of Lichfield City will inevitably make the situation worse, the solution proposed in the local plan was for residents to walk, cycle and use public transport rather than using the car, it sounds good but how practical is it?

There is no easy solution to parking issues, BSARA is trying to find a concensus of views that will be acceptable to a wide range of interested parties.

12. LH

3rd January, 2016 at 8:48 pm

The residents along these streets do not buy the right to parking on the road when they purchase a property. They are fully aware that when they purchase a property without a driveway they cannot be guaranteed a parking space. I live along one of the named streets you speak of and I fully accept that I do not own the right to park on the street outside my house.

13. Guy Heathcote

4th January, 2016 at 9:29 am

@StreetParker
    You seem to have a lot of spare time too so thanks for your comments. I’m not sure who you are referring too when you say there has been shouting, slamming doors and pouring oil on cars, would you like to kiss and tell on that statement?
    @LH I fully agree with you that I have no divine right to a parking space on Beacon Street just because I bought a house there, however I am saying that it is very frustrating that the car park in the nursery has many empty spaces during the day but their staff still park on the road.
    Maybe this will change with the application for permit parking.

14. StreetParker2

4th January, 2016 at 11:58 am

@Guy Heathcote
    I make a point not to spend time with aggressive, unreasonable people, so I can’t tell you the names of the people that have been causing problems (i.e. vandalising cars). Maybe the residents could try to talk politely to resolve the issue before resorting to nasty (and dangerous) tactics?

15. Guy Heathcote

4th January, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Neither do I StreetParker and I don’t know anyone in Beacon Street who would resort to any of the actions that you propose they have. As previously mentioned above, this would have been better reported to the police if indeed it did take place.

16. StreetParker

15th January, 2016 at 7:23 pm

@Guy Heathcote
    The previous comment wasn’t made by myself, see name @StreetParker2, leading me to think someone else has had issues with street residents? In regards to your previous condescending comments, it’s not I have a lot of spare time, I just feel obliged to provide both sides of the story, rather than people read this biased view, I am however glad you enjoy reading my comments. I also believe that the illegal incidents have indeed been reported to the police, so no worry there, however whilst were on the topic, now it seems that people are in agreement that there hasn’t actually been any “illegal” parking, is this article going to be amended or is it going to continue propagating inaccurate information?

17. Non resident

16th January, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Not quite sure which bit is inaccurate? Don’t believe anyone has proven anything?

18. StreetParker

12th February, 2016 at 9:01 am

@Non resident – The part about it being unlawful? It’s not.