Councillor says full sweep of Burntwood building site is planned after discovery of World War Two munitions

The site of the housing development at Milestone Way

The site of the housing development at Milestone Way. Pic: Google

A Burntwood councillor says there will be a full sweep of a building site in the area after a number of World War Two bombs were found during construction work.

Barratt Homes and Taylor Wimpey have been forced to halt work at the Milestone Way development several times so far.

Cllr Darren Ennis

Cllr Darren Ennis

But Cllr Darren Ennis, Labour representative for Chasetown ward on Burntwood Town Council, said that the companies would now be undertaking a full sweep of the site, which had been used as a munitions dump after the war.

“I have been out and spoken to residents local to the site that are concerned with the recent incident regarding the unearthing of munitions,” he said. “As councillor of this area I also had my own anxieties and answers were needed.

“With the rising concerns of the detection of bombs in the new housing development, I have spoken to Adrian Farr, managing director of Barratt Homes, who has informed me that all digging onsite has now stopped.

“On Monday there will be a full sweep of the site, following advice from the Ministry of Defence.

“As long as there are no issues on site, digging should recommence on Tuesday next week.

“Barrett and Taylor Wimpey have procedures in place to deal with this type of incident and are taking it very seriously.”

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.
%d bloggers like this: