Hotel made to pay £11,000 after contaminated pate makes wedding guests ill

A Lichfield hotel has been hit with an £11,000 bill after a food poisoning incident which hospitalised a wedding guest and left more than 30 others unwell.

The George Hotel. Pic: Harry Mitchell

The George Hotel. Pic: Harry Mitchell

The owners of the Best Western George Hotel pleaded guilty to food hygiene offences at Stafford Magistrates’ Court earlier this month.

The court heard how guests attending a wedding at the hotel in May 2015 were served chicken liver pate that was contaminated with the campylobacter enteritis bacteria, leading to 33 guests becoming unwell, including a child. One of the guests had to be hospitalised.

Councillor Colin Greatorex, Cabinet member for health at Lichfield District Council, said: “Our environmental health team joined forces with Public Health England to carry out a thorough investigation.

“This concluded that the chicken liver pate had not been safely produced, temperatures had not been monitored, and there were no written procedures for its production in place.

“Other issues identified included poor staff record keeping and a lack of hand towels and soap in the staff toilet.”

A representative from The George Hotel told the court that the staff responsible for cooking the wedding breakfast no longer worked at the hotel and that it no longer made its own pate.

They also explained that internal processes and training had been addressed.

The hotel was ordered to pay more than £11,000 in fines and court costs.

Cllr Greatorex added: “We take the safety of local residents and visitors to our district very seriously and it is vital that all of our establishments meet the highest standards in health, hygiene and safety, particularly given our reputation as a tourism destination.

“This case goes to show that no matter how prestigious a venue, teams responsible for food production cannot let standards slip. They need to make sure they have the right processes and procedures in place at all times and have every member of staff adequately trained and monitored.

“I would like to thank our environmental health team for carrying out such an efficient investigation and the team at The George for their willingness to work with us throughout the process.”

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: