Lucky escape for homeowners after sunlight reflected off a mirror causes curtains to smoulder

Homeowners living near Lichfield had a lucky escape after sunlight reflecting off a mirror caused nearby curtains to smoulder.

Fire crews were called to Stockings Lane in Upper Longdon just before 1pm on Friday (November 25).

Although there was no sign of a blaze when they arrived, there was a distinctive smell of burning.

Lichfield Watch Manager Mick Jones said: “The occupants of this property were very lucky that the consequences were minimal and the incident only burnt a hole in the curtains.

“It is vital that people ensure that reflective items such as mirrors are not placed in direct view of sunlight. Special care should be taken with convex and concave shaving or make-up mirrors which can magnify the sun’s rays onto combustible items such as curtains or bedding, causing them to ignite.

“It is also important to ensure that you have working smoking alarms fitted so that, should an emergency occur, you are alerted to it at the earliest possible opportunity.”

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.