Conservative candidate Michael Fabricant says record shows he’s a man who “knows how to get things done”

Michael Fabricant says his record shows he’s a man “who knows how to get things done” as he bids to retain the seat in Lichfield and Burntwood at the 2017 General Election.

Michael Fabricant MP

Michael Fabricant MP

The Conservative candidate has held the seat since its formation in 1997.

He told the audience at a recent hustings event in the city that he had proven he was an MP who worked hard for those he represents.

“As an MP I deal with around 400 letters and email a week from constituents,” he said. “I have a good staff around me and I’m someone who knows how to get things done.

“I might have failed in my ultimate aim with HS2, but we have managed to get it lowered to reduce the impact.

“I’ve also fought for the lifts which are due to be installed at Lichfield Trent Valley in the not too distant future.

“There’s evidence that I am someone who, if elected, will fight for you. Take the A515 through Kings Bromley where I am battling Staffordshire County Council as we must stop the amount of traffic using this route.”

Candidates for the 2017 General Election in Lichfield and Burntwood:

• Chris Worsey (Labour)
  • Michael Fabricant (Cons)
  • Paul Ray (Lib Dem)
  • Robert Pass (Green)

1. Darryl

5th June, 2017 at 11:53 am

As a ‘filthy’ Shenstoner he’s no longer my MP, however we lived for over 11 years under his reign in Lichfield.

Firstly I would say that being the MP since 1997 and managing to say “I’m an MP who gets things done,” then goes on to mention three issues he has tried to do, one of which he, by his own admission, failed to achieve. He didn’t just fail to achieve, he voted with his party when the time came, against what his constituents wished.

Almost 20 years of Fabricant and this is his legacy.

He knows he doesn’t need to do anything to get voted back in. He stands in Waitrose, whilst elderly shoppers pick up their copies of the Daily Mail, smiles and chews the fat with the clientele and knows that their numbers far outweigh the number of potential younger voters who could unseat him.

2. By-Golly-By-Gosh

5th June, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I’ve been waiting years for the chance to repeal that bloody fox hunting ban!

I for one will be writing to my good friend Micheal, inviting him out for a jolly-good hunt.

I don’t see much of the olde bugger, but gosh-mind-me I’d love to share some of my local ideals with him.

I think he’d love my idea of turning “Broke”-wood into a massive hunting ground of the poor and sick. I also agree that food banks have a great advertisement campaign, and that maybe we sure hire them to advert against islam extremists.

He’s a man that can get things done. He’s done great with his “spontaneous Pools programme”, a ruddy great idea to put holes in roads to provide free swimming classes to the elderly.

And lastly, it is about time he did something to those horrible brown bins. What an eyesore on the road sides. Glad to see him tax their use, keeping them off the streets while locals get to create their own greenbelts. Fantastic!

3. Toast

5th June, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Despite him popping up for any old photo-op in the Mercury, I’m struggling to think of a single ‘win’ for Fabricant.

The problem with this seat is, by the time young people hit 18 they go off to Uni or move to a more interesting city where there’s something to do. For that reason alone, Fabricant will die before he gets voted out.

4. Alec

5th June, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Toast, I would love to discuss your comment with you, as I am a young-ish, political activist that would love to see more activity in the area. However, due to constraints, I can’t say much here.

But anyway, I agree.

5. The Scribbler

5th June, 2017 at 1:17 pm

So, he’s chosen HS2 and LTV access as two examples of “getting things done”.

If memory serves he gave up a whip’s job to fight HS2. The HS2 that is still going ahead and will destroy large parts of the countryside around Lichfield without any economic benefit to the constituency? OK, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Access at LTV has been an issue for years and he has raised it on numerous occasions, albeit on a very sporadic basis. But it has been made clear that improvements are now going ahead – who knows when exactly? – because sufficient funding has now been made available. That has very little to do with his on-off-on-off campaigning.

I’ve raised issues with him over the years – both personal and wider community issues – and each and every time I get a standard letter saying he was referring my letter to the relevant government department and/or minister. On each ocasion I never heard anything again.

Yes, Mr Fabricant, your record does speak for itself.

6. Alternativelichfield

5th June, 2017 at 1:24 pm

I’m embarrassed to live in this city with this joker as an MP. Neither he more his strongest opponent even turned up for the hustings on Saturday.

However, how refreshing to see, on Saturday, and above, that I’m not the only one out there!!

Apart from death, the only way Fabo will be dethroned is by a progressive alliance at the next election.

P.s by golly by gosh, super work. Daddy sends hugs.

5th June, 2017 at 7:37 pm

That’s a record to be proud of.

20 years service and we will get some lifts at the local station “soon”.

8. John Griffin

5th June, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Fabbo votes with the Government full stop. The only success with HS2 was to get th agreement over the Whittington Golf clubhouse, probably because most of the local Tory business hierarchy are members.He’s asked more questions about Wales.

9. Darryl

5th June, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Reading these comments, people aren’t fooled.

Fabricant’s ‘objection’ to HS2 was clearly lip service to show solidarity with the opposition to it, within his constituency.

10. Mike

5th June, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Lichfield Trent Valley station has been a shambles with him. It’s beggar’s belief that they never even bothered to put a slope in from the newer London side carpark down to the platform level. Just steps!
    If they had done that it would have provided at least something for those who can’t negotiate the steps, in so much as a way to get on and off the platform on the London side.
    He knows about these changes, seeing as he catches the train from there himself, but had just provided us with lip service regarding it all. Oh yes, he is usually annoyed etc. about it, but there’s little progress, if any.
    I too have written letters to him to get the stock answers.
    Try engaging him on Twitter, he just surrounds himself with his sycophants; anybody who challenges him he just throws to these hounds for routine “leftie loony” abuse. His arrogance is startling. If anybody actually watched him on Matt Forde’s Unspun (Dave channel) you would cringe with embarrassment to think that this man has represented us in the House of Commons.
    A snippet here. https://dave.uktv.co.uk/unspun-with-matt-forde/video/matt-forde-interviews-michael-fabricant-series-2-episode-2/

11. Steve Norman

5th June, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Apart from asking questions about Welsh issues or about Waitrose/John Lewis (I’m sure the two are not connected) what has he done? After the boundary changes made it an even safer Tory seat he closed his local office and is one of those rare MPs who doesn’t feel he should hold regular advice surgeries – despite the salary.

The station lift issue is hilarious as he’s produced press releases on this for two decades so how he can claim any credit is beyond me. It’s a shame he has stayed silent on his Conservative colleagues’ proposal to end the maintenance of stairlifts for older and vulnerable people. Fortunately Labour councillors put a hold on that cruel proposal.

I have known a number of Conservative and Labour MPs and as an ex insider I know he is one of the most ineffective – and embarrassing. If he is to be believed it means either every elector in the constituency writes to him at least once every four years or there are a lot writing to him on an almost daily basis – presumably asking him why he hasn’t’ done anything for them.
    Maybe they are asking why he doesn’t condemn his Conservative colleagues at LDC for wanting to build on the Green Belt or his Conservative colleagues at SCC for getting rid of the Youth Service?

I can show that he has done absolutely nothing for Burntwood and Hammerwich residents’ health needs since the new Health Centres were cancelled when the Coalition came in, in 2010.

Three Freedom of Information questions I submitted showed that the NHS had only received one item of correspondence from Mr Fabricant since the 1st May 2012 and the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) said: “I can confirm that NHS South East Staffordshire and Seisdon Peninsula CCG holds no record of any communication being received from a Member of Parliament for Lichfield regarding Burntwood Health Centre.”

At £75.000 a year in salary and expenses of £116,000 claimed in 2015/16 value for money – he ain’t.

12. SB

5th June, 2017 at 10:01 pm

It’s embarrassing. But if the labour candidate doesn’t bother to campaign properly i.e. Attend public hustings then they’ve no chance of reducing his majority. I don’t expect labour to win this seat…..I do expect them to try. The people of Lichfield & Burntwood deserve better than both of the two major parties candidates and there apathy towards us voters.

13. Darryl

5th June, 2017 at 10:35 pm

This has yet to be surpassed as my favourite anecdote about Fabricant, from PMQs:

“What was wanted on a day like this were weak and servile MPs to show up the strength and stability of Kim Jong-May. Step forward Michael Fabricant, a man whose only known talent is for sycophancy. Could the Supreme Leader say why she was the only person capable of showing strong and stable leadership?

She could. “What this country needs is strong and stable leadership,” said Kim J ong-May . “And as I am the only person who can give this country strong and stable leadership, the country must vote for me if it wants a strong and stable leader and not a coalition of chaos.” She attempted a few more sentences with strong and stable in them before sitting down.”

And, of course, there’s deliciously acerbic Marina Hyde:

Generally, researching Fabricant results in very little tangible results other than a self-promoting dandy, schmoozing around on Primrose Hill, drawing a considerable salary and generous expenses scheme and doing very little for Lichfield.

14. Toast

6th June, 2017 at 8:54 am

While we’re on the subject, let’s not forget Fabricant’s Commons voting record:

Voted against the hunting ban
    Consistently voted FOR the Iraq War
    Voted against a banker’s bonus tax
    Consistently voted for reducing the rate of corporation tax
    Generally voted against measures to prevent climate change
    Consistently voted for selling England’s state owned forests
    Consistently voted against slowing the rise in rail fares
    Consistently voted for ending ESA for students
    Voted against Labour’s anti-terrorism laws
    Consistently voted against restrictions on fees charged to tenants by letting agents
    Voted against raising welfare benefits in line with inflation
    Voted to reduce housing benefit and FOR the bedroom tax
    Campaigned to leave the EU

Still think this man stands to represent you and your family?

15. Adam Elsdon

6th June, 2017 at 11:56 am

To quote Jeremy Deller, Turner prize winning artist:
    “Strong and stable my arse.”

16. Rodney

6th June, 2017 at 12:42 pm

It is an effort of will to see Fabricant as representative of anything, except the more socially backward members of the Lichfield Conservative association. He is a man of almost unparalleled irrelevance. His only purpose is to debunk that old nonsense that if you stick around long enough, anyone becomes a national treasure.

I would like to claim this as my own work, but it was from a national rag after our dear old Fabby threatened to punch some lady in the throat via twitter…..which was nice of him.