Green candidate: “Tories could get a stuffed chicken elected in Lichfield if it had a blue rosette on”

The Green Party claim a stuffed chicken would be elected in Lichfield and Burntwood if it had a blue rosette on.

Robert Pass

Robert Pass

Robert Pass finished fourth last night (June 8) after collecting 1,416 votes.

But he said he was under no illusions at the scale of the challenge any candidate faces after Conservative MP Michael Fabricant extended his grip on a seat he has held since its creation 20 years ago.

“The demographics in Lichfield mean that it’s a safe Tory seat,” said Mr Pass, who won 1,976 votes in the 2015 General Election. “They’d elect a stuffed chicken to parliament if it had a blue rosette on!

“However, in other areas Labour and the Greens have managed to get out the young vote which gives us grounds for hope that there is a strong progressive movement building for the future.”

Despite seeing the number of votes he won drop since the 2015 poll, Mr Pass said he was pleased with his party’s performance.

“The Greens vote share dropped to 1.6% nationally, but we got 2.6% in Lichfield,” he said. “Not a bad result considering the number of votes the Greens lost to the Labour party elsewhere.

“This progressive movement will have its day soon. We just need to convince a higher percentage of the population that there is an alternative to the nasty politics of greed and inequality and we can get on with building a fairer, happier and more sustainable society.”

1. Rodney

9th June, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Possibly the most honest and open opinion I have heard in this election!

2. Toast

9th June, 2017 at 3:32 pm

As I’ve said before, the greys would vote for a turd in a wig armed with a geriatric extermination order.

3. Rob

9th June, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Good.

4. Simon

9th June, 2017 at 4:34 pm

It makes me wonder why I bother to vote as I already know the outcome.

5. Rob

9th June, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Conversely, in places like London and Manchester the electorate vote for anything with a red rosette, but no-one seems bothered by that.

6. Adam Elsdon

9th June, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Places like London and Manchester have good public leaders in Sadiq Khan and Andy Burnham the recent events have shown that and it has a rub off effect on their own MP candidates.

7. Cearbhaill

10th June, 2017 at 10:13 am

So if Robert Pass has such a juvenile opinion of the Voters of Lichfield, then I suggest he moves on to another area.

10th June, 2017 at 10:13 am

I totally agree with what you say.

I could imagine Labour, Greens and Lib Dems turning up at a fire.

Labour have the hose. Greens the water. Lib Dems the ladder.

You all would rather let the place burn down. Than work together.

9. Rob

10th June, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Good public leaders?
    Khan is on record as saying Seven slaughtered (eventually eight) on a Saturday night out in a major city is “nothing to be alarmed about” and the two-bit chancer Burnham is in denial about the Islamist nature of the recent attrocity carried out in the city that he has only recently adopted.
    And that’s good leadership?
    Glad I don’t live there.

10. The Scribbler

10th June, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Cracked it – Rob is Donald Trump.

Now it starts making sense.

11. Dodger

10th June, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Master Pass has just shown how green he is. And very rude.

12. John Griffin

10th June, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Rob – Khan’s comment was about the massive police presence, you’re mistaking Trump’s tweet for fact. Go to Manchester and repeat your comments to the white natives (I’m Manchester born) and you’d get what you deserve.

13. Adam Elsdon

10th June, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Dodger, the Lichfield stuffed chicken himself called “Master Pass” a Turnip grower that lives at the bottom of his garden or something similarly complimentary, so what goes around comes around. I personally prefer to think of the Lichfield stuffed chicken as blue and very pointless.

14. Rob

11th June, 2017 at 1:27 pm

@John:
    Good of you to pitch up from Manchester and constantly moan about the state of things in our district. It’s not our fault that your offspring can’t afford to house themselves.
    Still, you’ve taken it upon yourself to decide what I “deserve” so I’ll just be grateful for that, not forgetting a fresh round of insults in the other thread.

15. Christine Rapley

11th June, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Beautiful city as it is. Such a lovely place to live. But there is something dull and dead behind the eyes about a lot of people in Lichfield. Sadly, that is reflected in their blind allegiance to Tory party that’s been screwing the country for so many years. Comment about chicken and blue rosette has great merit. Has anyone seriously considered Tory BluKip 2.0 manifesto? This is the Nasty party. Dull. Dangerous. Exploitative. Selling off all UK resources. Who gains? It’s time to wake up. FPTP keeps these dirty exploiters in position. Unless UK gets away from archaic FPTP and has Proportional Representation we are stuck with the same old politics. And same jaded MPs throughout UK. At least Labour has policies that offer people hope. Tories milk the system. NHS is dying.

16. Mike

11th June, 2017 at 2:36 pm

@rob

Here is the full statement made by the Mayor of London the day after the London Bridge atrocity:

“Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed. One of the things the police and all of us need to do is ensure that we’re as safe as we possibly can be. I’m reassured that we are one of the safest global cities in the world, if not the safest global city, but we always evolve and review to make sure we’re as safe as we possibly can be.”

But don’t let facts get in the way of the adversarial agenda that you appear to have on Lichfield Live.

17. Rob

11th June, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Thanks for yet another insight into my character Mike.
    Do you provide this service for everyone or am I being singled out?

11th June, 2017 at 3:24 pm

I was at the checkout, at the supermarket on Friday.

I was the only person at the checkout. A couple in their 60’s came behind me. Hit me with their trolley. They then bumped me as they were putting their shopping on the belt. Then hit me again, with their trolley. Then hit me again, for a final time.

They then started saying to each other “how wonderful it is, Michael won last night”.

I observed, as I was putting my shopping in the car. The car park was virtually empty.

They went to their car, that was parked in the parent and baby spaces (they didn’t have any children). As they reversed, they almost hit someone walking past. Then drove off.

The as long as I a OK attitude, is a big problem. But given the majority of Fabricant.

He has a job for as long as he wants. The people of Lichfield will get no help or support from their MP. Almost feel, they deserve each other.

19. Cearbhaill

11th June, 2017 at 6:54 pm

@ Steve, If you claim that your story is true then I have no evidence to discount it. However, I find your tale slightly skewered by your own prejudices safe in the knowledge that you can still get away with being highly derogatory of a certain demographic of the population. I too went to the supermarket on Friday, two in fact; the first one I came out of because it was packed with shoppers and the other, where I commented to my colleague that it was good to see so many young families out together. Oh, I’m well below the age of 60 by the way.