The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lichfield man’s warning to smokers after tragedy

A Lichfield man whose mother died after falling asleep while smoking a cigarette in bed has urged others to learn lessons from the tragedy.

Andrew Rushton’s 82-year-old mother Ida died at her home in Biddulph on May 3, 2008, after a cigarette ignited her bedclothes when she fell asleep, causing her to suffer 60 per cent burns.

Mr Rushton, of Norwich Close, Lichfield, told an inquest into his mother’s death he had warned her of the dangers:

“Both my sister and myself told her about it. She was pretty stubborn. She would often say that it would be all right.”

Speaking after the inquest, where an accidental death verdict was recorded by North Staffordshire coroner Ian Smith, Mr Rushton added:

“Hopefully lessons will be learned from this tragic situation.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.