Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

Lichfield travelled to Stourbridge in buoyant mood with an unbeaten league record behind them – but they were expecting a severe test despite the fact that the hosts had not won a game this season. And they were not disappointed as the front five of Bryant, Gabbitass, Bassett, Squire and Hicks had their toughest test of the season so far against a big tight five and the youthful back row of Perrins, Burton and Smith had to work hard to compete at the breakdown against experienced opposition. Lichfield started well and Massey probed the Stourbridge defence in an attempt to find a hole. But it was the Stourbridge fly half who drew first blood breaking from inside his own half to score a fine try under the posts which he also converted to give the home side a 7-0 lead. Lichfield came storming back and with Butler trying to raise the tempo of the game the Stourbridge defence infringed once too often resulting in them losing their hooker to the bin in the 17th minute. Lichfield applied the pressure and were rewarded when Ngoma went over for a fine try in the 26th minute, converted by Massey to bring Lichfield level. Lichfield were probably having the lions share of the game but it was Stourbridge and most notably their excellent young fly half, who reaped the rewards when he went over in the 31st and 38th minute to complete his hat trick and put Stourbridge firmly in control at half time 21-7 in front. Lichfield started the second half in determined fashion and three minutes after the break Sporcic scored a fine try, outpacing the cover defence and rounding the full back to go in under the posts, Massey converting to reduce the deficit to 21-14. The visitors were being far more direct in their approach and Baker and Adams were constantly threatening in the midfield and presenting the back row with a target to maintain continuity. Massey was mixing up the game well, taking territory when it was on offer and spreading the ball when the opportunity arose. The forwards carried and cleared out effectively to maintain the momentum and Smith in particular was foraging well and turning over or slowing down Stourbridge ball at the breakdown. Matt Brown showed his strength when he shrugged off Stourbridge defenders to crash over in the corner after some great work by the Lichfield forwards, Massey narrowly failing from the touch line with the conversion, but the visitors were firmly back in the game at 21-19, only one score down. It was all Lichfield at this stage and they were routinely putting together several phases of play to leave Stourbridge desperately hanging on. The visitors then got a penalty which Massey duly converted to put Lichfield in front for the first time at 22-21. Stourbridge were visibly tiring under the Lichfield onslaught and after some great interplay between backs and forwards, James Perrins latched onto a pass and went over to put his side 27-21 in front. Lichfield forwards were putting pressure on the Stourbridge pack and were now dominant in all aspects of the game and this was allowing the the backs to attack their opposite numbers with a quality supply of possession. Lichfield brought on fresh legs in the shape of Chris Upton, Sowden and Will Cotterhill for his first game of the season and this maintained the impetus and desperate Stourbridge defence led to an infringement which Massey punished with another well struck penalty to put his side two scores clear at 30-21. Lichfield: Bryant, Gabbitass, Bassett (c), Hicks, Squire, Burton, Smith, Perrins; Butler, L Massey, Brown, Baker, Adams, Sporcic, Ngoma. Subs: Sowden, Upton, W Cotterhill.