The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lichfield City FC 2 Heath Town Rangers FC 2 (aet: 9-8 on pens)

Lichfield City recorded a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Heath Town Rangers in the Staffordshire FA Challenge Cup on Saturday.

Heath Town, from the West Midlands Premier Division, arrived at Brownsfield Park as clear favourites but left with nothing.

Dean Gilbert’s men had taken the lead in normal time when substitute Gareth Downie came off the bench to rifle home in the 60th minute.

Rangers drew level ten minutes later though to take the game into extra-time. They then looked as if they had wrapped the game up as they made it 2-1 in the 115th minute.

City though, full of confidence after last week’s 6-1 demolition of Enville, bounced back immediately thanks to Simon Deeley’s 20-yard strike that squirmed under the keeper to take the game to penalties.

Dan Edwards

Dan Edwards. Pic: Kevin Grice

Jon Rob Dutton, Danny Worrall, James Lawson, Ross Adams, Simon Deeley, Gareth Downie, Rob Burnside and Ben Stephens all tucked away their respective spot-kicks with only debutant James Russell – signed earlier in the week from Bolehall Swifts – missing from 18 yards.

Thankfully for the new signing City keeper Dan Edwards was in inspired form and, after making a number of excellent stops in normal time, saved two spot-kicks to ensure a 9-8 victory.

Manager Gilbert said:

“It was a really good game. We played good attacking football when we had the chance but also showed we could compete against a physical Heath Town side.

“What was pleasing was that we kept our discipline and composure and kept the work rate up for two hours of a hard cup game against a good, young Heath Town side.”

City now await their opponents in the quarter final stage of the competition.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

1 Comment

  1. paul

    28th September, 2010 at 11:01 am

    it was heathtowns reserve team