Burntwood returned to form in the Midlands Three West North after two disappointing performances recently.

They were inspired by outside half Matt Wood who rattled up 26 points including a hat trick of tries.

There was only one try separating the teams approaching the hour mark. However, play was confined to the Moseley Oak half and once Wood went in for his second try the visitors’ resistance was finally broken and the hosts pulled away.

Graham Shelley’s men had gone ahead in the fifth minute of the match when referee Paul Daniels awarded a penalty try for Moseley pulling down a scrum as Burntwood went for a pushover. Wood converted.

The visitors hit back and were unfortunate not to score seven minutes later. They worked an overlap on their left wing but the scoring pass missed its target and flew into touch. It needed a good steal by Lloyd Shelley to take play up to halfway.

The hosts were pinned in their own half, battling against spirited opponents and the elements up to the half hour mark. The pressure finally told when a kick was charged down 30 metres out and an Oak player was first to the touch down over the line. A fine touchline conversion brought the scores level.

However, the deadlock only lasted for four minutes courtesy of Wood’s first try – a splendid individual effort. He chipped through on halfway, collected on the run and sped to the line.

Ollie Whitehouse almost got away for a try following a break into the Moseley 22 but the half ended with Burntwood defending deep in their own 22. They managed to keep the visitors out to leave the half time score at 12-7.

Matt Sishton tested the visitors’ defence early in the second half but despite camping in the Moseley half, it took nearly 20 minutes to gain reward.

Mark Partridge’s strong run set up a maul on the 22 infront of the posts. Wood received possession on the right but cut back to the left to slice through to the corner. He then added the conversion for good measure.

With play approaching the last ten minutes of normal time, Moseley Oak were still pinned in their own half. When they tried to run the ball out, they infringed and Wood punished them with a kick which went in off a post.

Three minutes later after a good set up by the forwards, Wood completed his hat trick with another arcing run to the line. His conversion made it 29-7.

Appropriately, the outside half had the last kick of the game seven minutes into time added on. He converted a try by Lloyd Shelley after brother Graham had controlled a scrum close to the visitors’ line and almost got over himself. When held up, Lloyd was there to wrestle his way over.

This Saturday (November 21) Burntwood are involved in Midland Division Senior Vase action with a third Round trip to Old Leamingtonians (kick-off 2pm).