The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC Reserves 4 Heath Hayes FC 3

An action-packed J W Hunt Cup tie saw Chasetown’s reserves just edge out Heath Hayes 4-3 in a frantic contest.

Chris Horton broke up Heath Hayes’ first attack of the game down the right and Jack Scandrett then found a way through for the Scholars but the flag was up for offside, but Scandrett was successful in the fifth minute as he headed through the gap at his near post to put the hosts ahead.

The visitors looked set for an equaliser three minutes later as Ben Haseley burst past keeper Martin Taylor, but the forward’s chip bounced back off the post and into the grateful Taylor’s hands.

In the ninth minute Haseley found his target following a strong move along with Alan Haycock and Heath Hayes were level, but it did not faze the Scholars and a fine end-to-end game had fans anticipating plenty more goals.

Things then slowed down slightly until Andrew Tuck’s shot was punched away by Taylor, and the pace then gathered once again before Scandrett squared the ball to Dan O’Callaghan following a good move down the centre and the latter had little trouble in restoring Chasetown’s lead.

Haseley tried again on 32 minutes but his low shot went wide, and Taylor then denied Peter Howell as the visitors fought back once again, Haseley then almost beating the Scholars keeper down the left before his next foray into the area was stopped by Jamie Elwell.

Scandrett then broke away along with Dan Rock at the front and the young gun’s shot from the right nestled in the far corner for Chasetown’s third.

The visitors pulled a further goal back in the second minute of the second half has a tight-angled ball from the right slipped away from Taylor and Howell found the gap at the far post to bring Heath Hayes back into the game.

Scandrett led the Scholars’ response two minutes later and looked good for his hat-trick but keeper Adam Lane got behind his low right-footed shot, and the home defence and midfield worked hard to counter any possible attempts at an equaliser.

Home skipper Jamie Hawkins blasted a free kick high over the bar just past the hour before Chris Deakin went close for the visitors, before Scandrett had another chance for his hat-trick on 71 minutes but his header was somehow deflected wide by the defence.

The visitors kept their game tight, and their efforts paid off with ten minutes to go when Alan Haycock hit home the equaliser from close range, but the score stayed level for just two minutes before Horton put away Ross Miller’s excellent cross.

In stoppage time Haycock came close to an equaliser but the Scholars held on and progressed through to the next round.

The reserves are next in action this Saturday (November 21) as they visit Oadby Town in the Midland Combination Reserve Division (3pm kick-off).

Chasetown: Taylor, Miller, Elwell, Hulin, Horton, Billingham, Saunders, D O’Callaghan, Scandrett, J Hawkins (c), Rock.  Subs: Ivers (Billingham 74), Imerfreys (D O’Callaghan 89), Willetts (Hulin 60), Williams, T O’Callaghan.
Heath Hayes: Lane, Maddox, Wallis, Howell, Paxton, Tuck, Young, Barber (c), Haycock, Haseley, Deakin.  Subs: Bevan (Barber 76), Raggott, Perry (Young 60), Catly (Howell 74), Braddock.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.