The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC 4 Goole AFC 3

A remarkable comeback by Chasetown saw them steal a 4-3 win at the death over Goole AFC with three goals in the last five minutes.

The visitors looked in control as the final whistle approached, but the Scholars staged possibly their best ever turnaround with a trio of free kicks from Mark Branch at the centrepiece of a recovery which was completed with virtually the final move of the match.

An early Chasetown corner was headed out by the Vikings defence and a solo charge through the midfield by Glyn Cotton followed before a shot from Ashley Worsfold was cleared off the line by Craig Milligan.

Controversy then followed as Gavin Allott broke clear for the visitors in the ninth minute and though he appeared to be offside play continued, and he was able to square the ball to Lawrence Hunter who sliced the ball past Ryan Price to open the scoring.

Chasetown were far from rattled by the early goal but the visitors kept up their attacking run with Price stopping a charge by Worsfold.

On 17 minutes Reece Styche was brought down in the area and the Scholars were awarded a penalty which Gary Birch fired down the right into the roof of the net to bring the hosts level.

This spurred the Scholars back into top gear and they began to produce tighter and more rapid play.  Allott had a clear chance to restore Goole’s lead on 28 minutes but somehow his shot went wide, while Sam Beard then set up Jamie Ghailchem on the right but his low effort also went wide of the post.

Styche then burst in from the right and had the chance to fire Chasetown ahead, but instead chose to attempt to chip the ball past Vikings keeper Craig Parry who was able to gather.  The striker then beat Beard one on one, but again Parry denied him the goal.

More controversy then followed in stoppage time as again Allott appeared to be offside, and with Chasetown appealing the forward was able to cut round Tom Marshall and Price to slot the ball home to the displeasure of the home faithful.

Nick Hawkins’ low shot from 40 yards went wide of the post as the second half began with the Scholars clearly fired up by Goole’s hotly disputed goals.

Styche was seemingly fated not to score, and on 52 minutes he got ahead of three defenders and the keeper to meet Steane’s cross but found nothing but the side netting with his resultant attempt.

Dave Egan was next to go close, his shot following a fine move by Steane but gathered by Parry, and Chasetown then introduced Danny Smith at the expense of Hawkins to form a three-pronged attack, before Styche once again went down in the area but this time the penalty appeals went unheeded.

Parry then denied Duncan Horler as the Scholars pushed harder, Smith’s first chance being blocked for a corner which was cleared by Vikings skipper Lee Stratford, but the initiative swung back in favour of the visitors and on 78 minutes a run through midfield by Ghailchem saw him set up Allott who fired his second past Price.

It could have been four five minutes later but Hunter fired over the bar under pressure, but on 85 minutes the Scholars were back in it through a Mark Branch free kick from 30 yards out with Parry only able to help the ball home.

Two minutes later and the hosts were level, Richard Teesdale heading home a second Mark Branch free kick.

The atmosphere inside the Scholars Ground had now totally changed, with dejection replaced by tension and hope in a matter of minutes.

Chasetown piled on the pressure in stoppage time, Smith crossing to Styche whose shot was just wide, with Styche then cutting round the defence but once again the fates were against the striker and his shot was inches wide of the far post.

There was still time, however, and deep into added time the hosts won a free kick out on the right and once again Mark Branch stepped forward.  The free kick curled in and was headed on nicely, and Duncan Horler was in position to head it home to complete an amazing turnaround to delirious scenes among the squad.

Chasetown will now travel to Belper Town in the UniBond League President’s Cup tomorrow (November 24th ) , 7.45pm kick-off, before visiting Stamford AFC in the league next Saturday (November 28th),  kick-off at 3pm.

Chasetown: Price, J Branch, Milligan, Hawkins, Marshall, Teesdale (c), Steane, Egan, Birch, Styche, Horler.  Subs: Smith (Hawkins 67), Miller, M Branch (Milligan 57), Saunders, Westwood.
Goole: Parry, Beard, Jeffs, Wilkinson, Stratford (c), Winters, Ghailchem, Cotton, Allott, Worsfold, Hunter.  Subs: Cuttell, Rose (Wilkinson 57), Dudgeon, Ward.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.