The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Stamford AFC 2 Chasetown FC 3

Chasetown came from behind for the second week running for a fine 3-2 win at Stamford AFC.

In damp conditions Chasetown almost opened with a repeat of their winning goal against Goole one week before, but this time skipper Richard Teesdale headed Mark Branch’s free kick wide.

Five minutes later Reece Styche found the net after he lobbed keeper Chris Wright but was denied by the offside flag, and the Scholars continued to take the game to their hosts with Gary Birch firing over the bar after a good move with Ben Steane.

Gavin Saunders then tested Wright with a 22-yard shot which the keeper was able to palm away when it looked to be going under the bar, but Lee Beeson led a fightback for Stamford but his goal was ruled offside.

Birch was once again in fine form and on 19 minutes Wright just saved his low drive after the forward had beaten two defenders, but it was the hosts who took the lead just before the half hour mark.  A slip by Mark Branch allowed Dan Cotton to slip the ball past Ryan Price and Tony Battersby completed the strike by firing into the roof of the net.

Gary Birch

Gary Birch

It could have been two four minutes later as Cotton’s cross-cum-shot hit the near post and Chris Slater was able to clear, but on 35 minutes the Scholars were level.  Birch’s good form continued as he side-stepped past two defenders, but this time his shot was successful as it flew low to Wright’s right.

Ricky Miller began the second half with a fine individual goal for the home side, collecting the ball on the far touchline and cutting past Slater to unleash a screaming shot which Price could only help into the net.

Stamford continued to display strong football after retaking the lead, and more shots from Miller and Cotton rained in while Beeson’s effort on 68 minutes was off target and went over the bar.

On 72 minutes the score was levelled once again as Steane played Duncan Horler through on goal and it was Teesdale who forced the ball over the line for his second goal in as many weeks.

With ten minutes on the clock Steane passed to substitute Ross Miller on the right and the latter’s cross fed Birch on the far post, but this time the striker laid the ball back to Steane whose shot was headed in by Horler to a huge roar from the travelling Chasetown support.

Stamford’s Ross Watson was shown the red card in stoppage time for his second booking, and Chasetown closed out the game en route to another win from behind.

The Scholars take on Willenhall Town on Tuesday (November 1), 7.45pm kick-off, and there is more local opposition next Saturday (November 5) as they host Rushall Olympic (3pm kick-off).

Stamford: Wright, Burton-Jones, Watson, Chamberlain (c), Malone, Weston, Beeson, Sedgemore, Battersby, Cotton, Ricky Miller.  Subs: Stebbing, Ellison, Farrell, Hook, Ellis.
Chasetown: Price, J Branch, M Branch, Slater, Saunders, Teesdale (c), Steane, Egan, Birch, Styche, Horler.  Subs: Smith, Ross Miller, Milligan, Thomas, Westwood.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.