A hospice is offering a guilt-free way for Lichfield residents to offload unwanted Christmas gifts – by appealing for them to be donated to its network of local charity shops.
The 17 St Giles Hospice shops across the region are happy to accept surplus presents, with proceeds from their sale helping to pay for the care of local people with cancer and other serious illnesses.
Lynwen Truesdale, Director of St Giles Hospice Shops, said:
“Every year people receive presents that they don’t really want or need and that usually end up doing nothing more than cluttering shelves and cupboards. It would be a shame to leave these unwanted gifts to gather dust when they can go to a good home and raise money for a good cause at the same time.
“Unwanted presents are vital for our successful charity shops, and by donating gifts they don’t wish to keep, local people can make a positive start to the year – as well as give a helping hand to the hospice.”
Items can be donated to any of St Giles’ 17 charity shops based in major towns throughout the hospice’s catchment area.
The shops sell a wide choice of high-quality donated clothing, books, CDs, DVDs, homeware, gift items, games, toys, jewellery and accessories, as well as a small selection of new goods including greeting cards.
St Giles shops can be found at:
- Aldridge – Unit 35, The Square, Aldridge, West Midlands , WS9 8QS
- Atherstone Bookshop – 111 Long Street, Atherstone, Warwickshire , CV9 1AB
- Boldmere – 28 Boldmere Road , Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands , B73 5TD
- Brownhills – Unit 3, 12-28 High Street , Brownhills, Walsall , WS8 6QE
- Burton – 192 Station Street , Burton on Trent, Staffordshire , DE14 1BH
- Cannock – 2 Wolverhampton Road , Cannock, Staffordshire , WS11 1AJ
- Lichfield – 17 Tamworth Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire , WS13 6JP
- Mere Green – 300 Lichfield Road , Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield , B74 2UW
- Mere Green Bookshop – 284a Lichfield Road , Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield , B74 2UG
- Rugeley – 4 Upper Brook Street , Rugeley, Staffordshire, WS15 2DR
- Swadlincote – 8 Midland Road , Swadlincote, Derbyshire , DE11 0AG
- Tamworth – 7 Little Church Lane , Tamworth, Staffordshire , B79 7AX
- Walmley – 39 Walmley Road , Walmley, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands , B76 1NR
- Walsall – 11 Victorian Arcade, Walsall, West Midlands , WS1 1RE
- Wylde Green – 406 Birmingham Road , Wylde Green, Sutton Coldfield , B72 1YJ
- Uttoxeter Bookshop – 13 The Maltings, Uttoxeter , ST14 7LN
Further information on donating items is available by calling 01543 481 042 or by visiting www.stgileshospice.com/shops.
Last year the hospice shops raised £535,000 with every penny going towards funding the care offered by the hospice at its facilities in Sutton Coldfield and Whittington, between Lichfield and Tamworth , and in patients’ own homes across the region.
The hospice’s catchment area ranges from Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Atherstone in the east, to Cannock and Walsall in the west – and from Burton and Uttoxeter in the north, to Sutton Coldfield and Coleshill in the south.
St Giles spends £6 million every year providing its specialist services and with less than a third of this funded by the Government, the registered charity relies heavily on the support of local people to enable its valuable work to continue.