Don’t miss out!
Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.
“Chip pans have the potential to cause serious fires because they can overheat very quickly and then ignite. Many fires we are called to are caused by people putting their chip pans on the cooker and then leaving them, falling asleep, being distracted by a phone call or someone at the door. “We would urge everyone to use deep fat fryers instead as they are much safer because they are thermostatically controlled which means they cannot overheat. Or as a healthier and safer alternative people should try oven chips!”Firefighters from Lichfield Fire Station will be at Tesco throughout the day, handing out fire safety information and encouraging people to book free Home Fire Risk Checks. There will also be three chip pan fire demonstrations from 11am to 1pm, 2pm to 4pm and 5pm to 7pm. The initiative is being supported by Jacqui Magitis, Community Champion for Tesco, Lichfield. She said:
“We hope customers will want to come along and support our firefighters with their project and we look forward to working with them in the future.”If people must cook chips in a traditional chip pan, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Servcie advises the following these fire safety tips – not just during National Chip Week but all year round:
- Don’t overfill a chip pan with oil – never fill it more than one-third full.
- Don’t use your chip pan after drinking alcohol.
- Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and dial 999.
- Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
- In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place.
Protect our independence - donate now
Our non-for-profit, independent community journalism is produced by volunteers and survives thanks to your regular contributions.