Cigarettes. Pic: Nick Perla
Cigarettes. Pic: Nick Perla

Smokers in Lichfield and Burntwood are being reminded about the dangers of smouldering cigarettes.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is making the plea for people to “put it out, put it right out” on No Smoking Day.

Since 2005 the Service has attended 304 fires caused by smoking. Four have resulted in death, the most recent fatality being in January this year.

Head of Risk Reduction, Ian Sloss, said:

“Fires caused by cigarettes and smoking materials is something we take very seriously and we continue to commit resources to campaigns and activities which will help reduce the number of these incidents from taking place.

“People know the health risks of smoking but they should not underestimate the threats associated with smoking in the home if cigarettes are not extinguished properly. While property can be replaced a life cannot.

“People have to understand the danger they are putting themselves and loved ones in. If you don’t behave responsibly with cigarettes and how you use and dispose of smoking materials then you are tempting fate.”


Founder of Lichfield Live and editor of the site.