The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Carlton Town FC 0 Chasetown FC 2

A goal late in each half saw Chasetown firmly back to winning ways at Carlton Town.

Although the Scholars enjoyed the majority of the possession, it was the home side who had several chances to take the lead before the break but some good goalkeeping from Ryan Price and some sharp midfield play countered them. The second half was a different story with the meanest defence in the league, marshalled excellently by skipper Richard Teesdale, kept the hosts to just a couple of long range efforts.

Price had to be alert in the opening minute to palm away a cross from Anthony Griffith before in the 12th minute Hay and Dave Egan had Chasetown’s first chance, the former’s shot blocked and the latter firing the rebound wide.

The play was very even between the sides throughout the first half, despite slippery conditions caused by rain, and Carlton had the next opportunity but Justin Jenkins fired over the bar, while Hay was in lively form for the Scholars with a chance on 26 minutes before the striker’s cross was headed straight to home keeper Alessandro Barcherini by Duncan Horler.

Chasetown lost Gavin Saunders to injury midway through the half and he was replaced by Ben Jevons, and the hosts should have taken the lead on 37 minutes. Griffith’s shot from the edge of the area glanced goalwards off Teesdale’s leg but Price palmed the ball behind for a corner. The keeper had turned his ankle in his efforts, but after lengthy treatment was able to continue.

Danny Smith

Danny Smith

The visitors took the lead in the final minute before the break when Ben Steane played in Horler from the right and his cross found Danny Smith whose diving header crept inside the near post to put the Scholars ahead.

Hay’s great game continued after the break as he beat two defenders down the right but his shot was deflected and Barcherini somehow scrambled the ball away. A through ball then found Smith whose shot was cleared by the home keeper but the ball bounced back off the Scholars striker allowing Egan to fire towards the top corner, but Danny Hayes headed off the line.

The play became more undisciplined with referee Marsden displaying a string of yellow cards, but Chasetown’s run of chances at goal continued. With eight minutes to go Horler headed down a corner from Gary Anslow who enjoyed a great debut for the Scholars at left-back, but the ball somehow bounced over the bar, and the visitors continued to pile on the pressure for a second strike.

As the game entered stoppage time a shot from an acute angle by Hay saw Town substitute Michael Martin attempt to block but he could only help the ball into the net and the Scholars were assured of victory.

Chasetown host Market Drayton tomorrow (March 23) – 7.45pm kick-off – before travelling to Quorn next Saturday (March 27) for a 3pm kick-off.

Carlton: Barcherini, Corrigan, Fletcher, Hayes, Brindley (c), Mitchell, Ball, Gent, Jenkins, Griffith, Whitman. Subs: Martin (Fletcher 80), Chaplin (Jenkins 45), Simmons (Chaplin 51).
Chasetown: Price, J Branch, Anslow, Slater, Saunders, Teesdale (c), Steane, Egan, Hay, Smith, Horler. Subs: M Branch, Ryan, Stephens, Jevons (Saunders 21), Thomas (Smith 90).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!