The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC Reserves 2 Oadby Town FC Reserves 2

Dean Perrow

Dean Perrow

Chasetown FC Reserves and Oadby Town FC Reserves played out an entertaining draw at the Scholars Ground with Dean Perrow netting his first goal since his recovery from injury.

Both sides began in determined fashion with Fisher going close from 15 yards for Oadby, and then in reply Jamie Hawkins saw his dipping shot go just over the visitors bar all in the opening five minutes of the game.

Scholars keeper John Green misjudged a hopeful through ball allowing Collins to collect the ball wide on the by-line, but Chris Horton was able to avert the danger and head away from goal.

A mix up in the visitors defence between Claton and Pickering let in Jack Scandrett but the visiting skipper Rynolds was round on the cover to deny the striker.

On 20 minutes, Hussain broke down the right hand side and crossed for Fischer to slide in on goal with the ball hitting Green and deflecting up and over the bar.

A minute later, Chasetown produced the best move of the game so far. Dan Rock beat Hussain before cutting the ball back which Scott Embrey stepped over to allow Hawkins to strike from 20 yards, but his effort crashed against the upright and bounced back into the grateful arms of Haywood in the Oadby goal.

Within a minute Daniel O’Callaghan then Tom Billingham both tested Haywood from long range.

Haywood then sliced his clearance under pressure from the hard working Jack Scandrett straight to Daniel O’Callaghan, but the keeper did well to recover and dive on the midfielder’s effort on goal.

On the half hour Chasetown took the lead, Embrey played in Rock down the left, who duly delivered the ball into the box finding Billingham at the far post to volley the ball home from close range.

Jack Farmer’s exquisite through ball, put Embrey clear of the Oadby defence, but despite chipping the advancing Haywood the ball landed the wrong side of the bar.

In injury time at the end of the first half, Scholars keeper Green missed his punch when trying to clear Colly’s high ball into the box and the loose ball fell to Hussain on the edge of the penalty area. The full back struck powerfully at goal but Rock was on hand to head the effort away from danger.

At the start of the second half Perrow was introduced to the action replacing injured goalscorer Billingham.

Within two minutes, Embrey sprayed the ball out wide to Daniel O’Callaghan enabling him to find Perrow in space ten yards out and despite appearing to control the ball with his arm, the marksman surprisingly ballooned his effort high over the target.

On 50 minutes, Hawkins’ precise through ball found Rock on the edge of the area but his dipping volley just cleared the crossbar.

A well-worked corner from Rock and Hawkins saw the latter cross, but Perrow’s poke went just wide of the upright.

Scandrett then got above his marker Radford to head at goal, but Haywood was grateful to see the ball land in his grasp.

On 54 minutes a short corner by the visitors saw Colly carry the ball across the corner of the penalty area only to be stopped in his tracks by Rock’s sliding challenge. But referee Salisbury did not hesitate in pointing to the spot and Fisher tucked home the resulting penalty kick.

The equaliser seemed to galvanise the visitors and Fischer was allowed to carry the ball across the edge of the box unchallenged before testing Green from 15 yards and then Chris Lewis had to be alive to hook clear Hussain’s far post header on goal.

It was the Leicestershire side who took the lead on 66 minutes when a well worked short corner by Colly and Fisher saw the latter find Gent 25 yards out. The Oadby substitute produced a wonder strike that Green could only watch as the ball flew past him and nestled into the back of the net.

However, Chasetown were level nine minutes later. Youth teamer Drew Aiton cut the ball back from the by-line to the unmarked Embrey whose low shot was spilled by Oadby keeper Haywood in the wet conditions. Scandrett slid in to challenge the keeper and the loose ball broke to Perrow who made no mistake when side footing the ball into the empty net from two yards.

With ten minutes remaining Chris Lewis combined with Perrow to put Aiton in down the right. He returned the ball to Perrow on the edge of the six yard box to enable the forward to strike on goal,  but Haywood saved and Radford blocked the striker’s rebound.

In the dying minutes the dangerous Fisher twice went close for the visitors, but neither side deserved to lose this entertaining affair and in the event the draw was the fairest result.

Chasetown Reserves’ next action sees them visit Boldmere St Michaels in the Challenge Trophy Semi-Final First Leg on Wednesday (March 24), kick off 7.30pm, and then next Saturday (March 27) they return to league action when Bromsgrove Rovers are the visitors to the Scholars Ground for a 3pm kick off.

Chasetown: Green, Farmer, Rock, Hulin, Lewis, Horton, Billingham, Hawkins (Capt), Scandrett, Daniel O’Callaghan, Embrey.  Subs: Perrow (Billingham 46), Wright, Aiton (Daniel O’Callaghan 50), Aulton, Westwood.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!