The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Boldmere St Michaels FC Reserves 0 Chasetown FC Reserves 0

Chasetown FC Reserves came out with a creditable result in the first leg of their Challenge Trophy, despite playing with ten men for the final 27 minutes.

Having lost to the same team in the Challenge Bowl Semi-Final the Scholars began in determined mood to prevent any repeat by matching their opponents’ desire with some strong challenges in the early exchanges.

On 10 minutes a misplaced Jamie Hawkins pass was collected by Boldmere’s Law whose effort on goal from the edge of the box was collected low down by John Green.

A minute later Drew Aiton got down the left flank before crossing the ball which saw Jack Scandrett’s deft flick drift wide of the far post.

Dan Rock delivered a delightful ball from the right into the Boldmere area was met by a diving header from Scandrett at the near post which went just wide of Jenkins’ upright.

Another Rock cross was missed by Scandrett, but Jack Farmer was hand to collect the loose ball before turning the ball back for Daniel O’Callaghan to miss-hit his high cross which dropped just over Jenkins’ bar.

On 35 minutes Boldmere forward Law was causing the Scholars defenders some problems when cutting in from the left across the edge of the box before unleashing a powerful strike on goal which beat the diving John Green but hit the post and bounced away to safety.

The lively Aiton put through a slide rule pass to Scandrett but defender Dunleavy was on hand to clear before the Scholars marksman could get in a strike on goal.

With two minutes of the half remaining a the ball broke to James Welnitschuk inside the home penalty area following Scandrett’s effort on goal but the striker could only divert his effort high and over the bar.

The second half began much the same as the first with chances for both sides at a premium and it wasn’t until five minutes in when Jamie Hawkins saw his long range effort fly just over.

Scandrett then did well to get a strike on goal on the turn which Jenkins stopped diving to his left.

The game turned on the hour when in the space of three minutes Chasetown defender Chris Lewis was booked and then harshly sent off for a innocuous looking challenge on Boldmere forward Thompson.

Chasetown manager Mark Swann was quick to react with a double substitution, throwing on Tom Ivers and defender Tom O’Callaghan.

Referee Rolfe then turned away strong claims for a penalty from the home side when the ball appeared to strike a Chasetown defender’s arm following a shot on goal.

Despite their best efforts Boldmere could not break down a resolute Chasetown back line and the tie will ultimately be decided in the second leg at the Scholars ground in a fortnight’s time.

Chasetown: Green, Farmer, Rock, Hulin, Horton, Lewis, Aiton, Hawkins (Capt), Scandrett, Welnitschuk, Daniel O’Callaghan.  Subs: Larvin, Ivers (Aiton 67), Tom O’Callaghan (Welnitschuk 67).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!