The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Quorn FC 1 Chasetown FC 1

An entertaining encounter with plenty of chances for both sides saw Chasetown take a 1-1 draw at Quorn.

Chasetown were the brighter side over the first 20 minutes with Ramone Stephens opening proceedings by firing into the side netting before Grant Ryan sent his shot over the bar.  Gary Anslow’s cross then found Gary Hay who played back to Dave Egan, but the midfielder’s shot went wide.

Tom Byrne had Quorn’s first chance in the 11th minute but his shot was over the bar, and a brace of free kicks were unsuccessful as the hosts came back into the game with some good pace, capitalising on even the Scholars’ smallest mistakes.
Ash Robinson had a good chance to put the Reds in front on 33 minutes but fluffed his shot and the ball went over the bar once again, while at the other end Hay dragged a shot wide as the entertaining game continued.

Grant Ryan

Grant Ryan

Three minutes later Ryan Price blocked Byrne’s attempt for a corner, before on 40 minutes home keeper Matt Nurse clipped Stephens as he attempted to round him and the referee awarded the Scholars a penalty.  Ryan stepped up and calmly sent Nurse the wrong way to put the visitors ahead.

Price then had to be alert again on 43 minutes and just managed to clear Robinson’s effort for a corner, and an enjoyable half closed with chances for Ben Steane and Ryan, the latter’s effort cleared by Steve Purton.

After an even start to the second half Chasetown were the first to go close but Hay’s weak header went straight to Nurse before Ryan fired across the face of goal but no-one was close enough to provide the finishing touch.

Byrne was a thorn in the Scholars’ side throughout the afternoon and Chris Slater nodded away his cross on 69 minutes, but four minutes later the Reds were level as Byrne picked up a high ball in the Chase penalty area and fired past the diving Price.

Appeals from the visitors for a penalty on 77 minutes after Hay was barged to the ground went unheeded, while Danny Smith joined the attack for the final ten minutes but neither he nor Hay could find the target despite a strong effort.
In the final minute Ryan headed Mark Branch’s cross off the top of the goalmouth, but the Quorn defence was able to clear the rebound and a draw was a fitting result to a close game.

Chasetown’s next opponents are Leek Town who visit the Scholars Ground on Tuesday (March 30th) for a 7.45pm kick-off, before the Bank Holiday weekend sees the visit of Sheffield FC on Good Friday (April 2nd) – kick off 3pm – and a journey to Belper Town on Easter Monday (April 5th) – kick off 3pm.

Quorn: Nurse, Marriott (c), Purton, Ingall, P Smith, White, Wood, Robinson, Pickles, Byrne, Peel.  Subs: Shaw, C Keast (Peel 89), K Smith (Pickess 71), D Keast.
Chasetown: Price, J Branch, Anslow, Slater, Egan (c), Thomas, Steane, Horler, Hay, Ryan, Stephens.  Subs: M Branch (Anslow 77), D Smith (Horler 80), Miller, Jevons, Saunders (Steane 66).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!