The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Moseley Oak RUFC 27 Burntwood RUFC 17

Burntwood RUFC faced a battle from the off after using all three replacements in the opening half-an-hour of their clash with Moseley Oak RUFC.

And to add injury to insult, the 30 minute spell saw them go two tries down and see one player already in the sin bin.

However, they did make a fight off it and got with three points of their hosts before seeing two late tries kill off their hopes of a comeback.

Perhaps Burntwood they had been lulled into a false sense of security by a home side who struggled to field 15 players at the kick off. Moseley Oak eventually managed to provide a full complement, some of whom even knew each other, and they proved surprisingly good for a mid-table side.

The hosts looked to run the ball back from the opening kick off but skipper Graham Shelley ripped it free to set his backs in motion. Ben Holt’s entry into the line set Matt Sishton away down the right wing but the attack was forced into touch close to the line.

Sishton looked to be in for a certain try just 3 minutes later but he was called back for a forward pass. At the following scrum Lloyd Shelley saw yellow for a leading arm.

Moseley Oak almost capitalised on their advantage straight away with a good attack from right to left down the backs . It needed a try-saving tackle by Craig Seedhouse to prevent the first score.

The home side kept the pressure on with a catch and drive up to the Burntwood line. The visitors scrambled the ball away but a similar move brought the first try after 12 minutes.

Within three minutes, Burntwood had used two of their replacements; Josh Bayliss and Martyn Smith for Tom Restall and Rob Cartwright respectively, both for shoulder injuries.

Matt Wood’s first kick at goal hit the post from the home 10 metre line. Three minutes later, Burntwood lost possession on halfway and the home backs moved the ball swiftly out to their right winger who got round the outside to score.

Full back Ben Holt limped off to be replaced by James Langford with Sishton moving to full back. Sishton was immediately tested with a 2 on 1 but he tackled the ball carrier to prevent the score.

Wood got his side off the mark with a long range penalty close to half time. He had another chance before the whistle but lost his footing and struck wide.

Burntwood dominated the opening 15 minutes of the second period courtesy of a scrum taken against the put in and Wood’s long range touch-finder. They won a penalty at the line out and Wood made it 6-10 with a fine strike.

Moseley Oak relieved the pressure with a breakaway try when their right winger was freed for a sprint down the line although Lloyd Shelley earned a penalty direct from the restart for Wood to convert for 9-15.

With an hour gone the match seemed to be turning in Burntwood’s favour. Wood kicked the more difficult of 2 penalty chances and Moseley Oak had a prop forward yellow carded.

However, it was the hosts who came nearest to scoring whilst the prop was off. It needed a try-saving tackle by Wood to keep the deficit to three points.

Once Moseley were back to their full complement, a well-executed move through midfield following a line out saw them score their only converted try of the afternoon.

Facing a ten point margin Burntwood needed a quick response and they got it. They won a penalty at the restart and the hosts were down to 14 again due to another yellow card. Wood missed with his penalty kick and a drop goal before a break by Seedhouse  led to a try for Dan Garrity, his first for the firsts.

Burntwood’s last chance to take something from the game came in the final minute but a loose pass in midfield was snapped up by the home side who linked well to apply the coup de grace.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.