The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC Reserves 1 Boldmere St Michaels FC Reserves 2 (aet)

Chasetown FC Reserves were denied yet another final appearance by their old nemesis Boldmere Reserves for the second time within a month.

This Midland Combination League Challenge Trophy Semi-Final second leg was always going to be a tight affair after the goal-less first leg with neither side giving anything away in the opening exchanges.

Drew Aiton had the first opportunity for the Scholars on 10 minutes, heading narrowly wide from a Jamie Hawkins free kick.

On 19 minutes a powerful Lee Smith strike from 20 yards was gratefully collected by Boldmere keeper Jenkins.

Gonzales broke down the left for the visitors before delivering a teasing ball into the area which was cut out by Scholars keeper John Green with Thompson waiting to pounce.

Ten minutes before the interval a deep cross from Chad Degville-Cross on the right found Jack Farmer at the far post, but the young full back could only manage to head ball over the bar.

The opening goal of the game came on 38 minutes and it went to the home side, a weak headed clearance from a Boldmere defender fell invitingly to Aiton on the edge of the opposing penalty area and the midfielder unleashed a powerful low drive from 25 yards which flew into the bottom corner of the net via a slight deflection giving Jenkins in the Boldmere goal little chance.

Chris Lewis then got on the end of a Hawkins corner but Jenkins was grateful that the effort went straight into his grasp.

At the death of the half a Jack Farmer strike from 20 yards sailed just over the crossbar.

At the start of the second half Lee Smith won the ball 25 yards which sat up invitingly to volley on goal, but Jenkins magnificently tipped the ball over.

Boldmere responded when Gonzales had his effort blocked by a last ditch tackle from Scholars defender Jack Hulin.

The visitors equalised in the 67th minute through Thompson’s header after some hesitancy in the Chasetown defence saw him get on the end of a left wing cross.

Then it was Jack Scandrett for the home side who saw his effort on goal go agonisingly wide of the upright after great battling by Daniel O’Callaghan to create the opening.

The turning point of the game came in the 82nd minute when a pinpoint cross from Aiton found Daniel O’Callaghan between two Boldmere defenders, but despite connecting powerfully to head on goal he could only watch in amazement as the Mikes keeper Jenkins somehow clawed the ball away to safety from point blank range.

In the final minutes of normal time Scandrett went close with a header from another excellent delivery from the in-form Aiton.

Chances were at a premium in the first period of extra-time has both sides looked weary from previous 90 minutes of frantic action.

However it was the visitors who gained the initiative when in the 96th minute Chasetown centre half Paul Larvin, under pressure, failed to clear in time before being robbed of the ball in his own penalty area and then needlessly pulling the visiting forward back. Referee Bob Green had no option but to point to the spot. Boldmere’s Seabourne despatched the resulting penalty kick into the bottom left hand corner giving Scholars keeper John Green no chance.

Despite the Scholars Reserves best efforts, they failed to create anything of real note in the remaining minutes of extra-time with only a late tackle on young full back Chad Degville-Cross by Boldmere’s Gonzales to mention.

The Scholars Reserves will next be in action on Saturday (April 17th) away to Barwell in the league (3pm kick off), before facing Boldmere St Michaels again on Tuesday (April 20th), this time in the league with a 7.45pm kick off at the Scholars Ground.

Chasetown: Green, Degville-Cross, Farmer, Larvin, Hulin, Lewis, Smith, Hawkins (Capt), Scandrett, Daniel O’Callaghan, Aiton.  Subs: Ivers, Degville-Cross (Smith 112), Rock, Wright (Larvin 103), Westwood (Hulin 103), Billingham.

Article location:

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.