The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Barwell FC Reserves 1 Chasetown FC Reserves 0

Chasetown FC Reserves’ title ambitions took a dent when they suffered a narrow defeat at Barwell.

In the fifth minute, a series of weak back headers by Matthew Kent and then Paul Larvin nearly let in Barwell’s Osbourne but luckily for the Scholars the forward’s control let him down and the ball ended safely in keeper John Green’s possession.

Then five minutes later Corey Currithers outpaced his marker Olerinshaw to get on the end of Green’s long clearance, but the striker could only curl his volleyed effort wide of the target.

Drew Aiton combined with Currithers down the left before delivering a cross that Barwell couldn’t deal with. The ball fell invitingly to Tom Ivers to powerfully strike on goal. Bit despite Barwell keeper Fairgrilve finding his strike too hot to hold, he managed to push the ball upwards and away to safety.

Jamie Hawkins then fired narrowly wide from 20 yards after good work from Daniel O’Callaghan.

On 26 minutes Aiton’s low curling effort from the edge of the penalty area went close with keeper Fairgrilve watching on. Then a minute later a Currithers effort on goal from 15 yards was comfortably collected by Fairgrilve.

Despite Chasetown’s spell of pressure it was the home side that went ahead. A great delivery from the left by Wileman found Osbourne at the back post and his close range volley found the top left hand corner of the net.

The Scholars nearly hit back immediately when Christian Vassallo fed the ball into O’Callaghan who in turn lofted the ball over the home defender Coultas for Aiton. He  took the ball into the area and fired goalwards from six yards, but the young Scholar was denied by a superb diving save from Fairgrilve.

With five minutes remaining of the half O’Callaghan plucked a high ball out the air before playing in Aiton, but he dragged his effort wide from 12 yards.

With three minutes of the second half gone the home side nearly hit the Scholars on the counter when following a quick break saw Wileman drag his effort wide of the upright.

Great pressure on Osbourne by Jack Hulin allowed the centre half to win the ball off the forward before striking on goal, but his effort was comfortably collected by Fairgrilve.

On 59 minutes Matthew Kent did well to block Paton’s strike at goal. With 20 minutes remaining Hawkins split the home defence to put Aiton clear of Tomlin, but he dragged his hurried effort from 12 yards well wide.

Barwell’s Osbourne shot over from 20 yards before Green denied Sidhu with a point blank save from close range.

With ten minutes remaining a Hawkins free kick deflected off Currithers but into the grateful arms of keeper Fairgrilve.

In the dying minutes the final chance of the game saw O’Callaghan head over a Hawkins corner.

This week’s action sees Chasetown Reserves entertain title rivals Boldmere St Michaels on Tuesday (April 20th), kick off 7.45pm. Then on Saturday (April 24th) they travel to face Gresley in the league, kick off 3pm.

Chasetown: Green, Vassallo, Thomas O’Callaghan, Larvin, Hulin, Kent, Ivers, Hawkins (c), Currithers, Aiton, Daniel O’Callaghan.  Subs: Gould, Wright (Larvin 55), Degville-Cross (Ivers 64), Swann (Aiton 83).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.