The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC Reserves 7 Banbury United FC Reserves 0

Chasetown FC Reserves took a giant stride to catching Midland Combination Reserve Division leaders Quorn Reserves with a 7-0 thrashing of Banbury United at the Scholars Ground.

The Scholars began there final 3 games of the season in the knowledge they needed to win their final three games by a total 13 clear goal margin to win their third consecutive title.

In the opening five minutes a Jamie Hawkins cross from the left was headed against the visitors’ cross bar by Jack Scandrett and then good work by Daniel O’Callaghan created an opening for Scandrett but the striker managed to scuff his effort to enable Banbury keeper Harding to comfortably collect.

Then a couple of minutes later Dean Perrow put Corey Currithers in the clear, who in turn squared the ball for Scandrett to strike on goal but defender Rose did well to block.

On seven minutes the Scholars got the break through they required when Scandrett flicked the ball through to put Saturday’s play off hero Perrow in the clear and he made no mistake when taking the ball past keeper Harding and sliding it into the empty net.

The second goal came only three minutes later when Perrow cut in from the right only to be upended by Rose’s challenge in the penalty area. Referee Wylie had no hesitation pointing to the spot and it was Scandrett who converted the resulting penalty kick into the bottom left hand corner of the net sending Harding the wrong way in the process.

Perrow and O’Callaghan then combined but unfortunately the later could only produce a tame effort into the arms of keeper Harding.

On 20 minutes Hawkins danced his way through the Banbury defence but unfortunately stumbled just before he was about to strike on goal.

Christopher Lewis tested Harding with a powerful volley from a Hawkins corner on the half hour, then a minute later a Lee Smith back header bounced off the visitors cross bar with Scandrett following up with a speculative overhead kick which was saved by Harding.

Chasetown came out fighting at the start of the second half and were 3-0 up within a minute, Scandrett powerfully headed home a pin point cross from the right from O’Callaghan. Then a minute later Perrow made it 4-0 when hesitation by Banbury defender Gray saw the striker in the clear and slide the ball under Harding and into the net.

On 59 minutes, a Currithers cross was cleared to the edge of the area but was met by O’Callaghan who drilled the ball into the net off the inside of the post to make it 5-0.

On the hour Banbury created their first effort on target when Eyre shot from 20 yards which John Green held low down.

With 65 minutes gone a long throw in from Lee Smith was flicked on by Chris Horton and into the far corner of the net to make it 6-0.

The goal scoring was completed on 66 minutes when Currithers broke down the left and under challenge the ball broke to O’Callaghan whose far post cross was palmed away by Harding under pressure but Smith was on hand to fire the ball home for the Scholars seventh.

In the dying minutes a Scandrett effort on the turn from 20 yards produced a fine diving save by Harding.

The final two games of the season for Chasetown FC Reserves see them entertain Highgate United on May 7 with a 7.45pm kick off at the Scholars Ground and then the following day May 8 they play Gresley at home with a 3pm kick off.

Chasetown: Green, Currithers, Aulton, Lewis, Horton, Hulin, Lee Smith, Hawkins (Capt), Scandrett, Perrow, Daniel O’Callaghan.  Subs: Larvin (Perrow 89), Thomas O’Callaghan, Rock (Aulton 70), Kent (Horton 82), Ivers.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.