Athletes prepare to tackle the Cathedral Dash in Lichfield

The start of the Cathedral Dash in Lichfield

The start of the Cathedral Dash in Lichfield

The final preparations are taking place for the Techstep Lichfield Cathedral Dash.

The event on July 17 will see racers darting around the building in a race inspired by the sprint around The Quadrangle at Trinity College, Cambridge, which featured in the Oscar-winning film Chariots Of Fire.

The Dash is a 430 metre sprint around the Cathedral Close within the 58 seconds it takes for the noon bells to chime.

A spokesperson for the event explained:

“It is a challenge of speed and ability, and of those who have taken part less than 30 have actually achieved a sub-58 second time.”

The Dash will be the culmination of a morning of sporting activity around the Cathedral.  This year there will be various junior races and the first ever Business Baton relay. A Chariots of Fire costumed sprint will also be staged during the morning.

Local dance groups Bojangles and the Fusion Dance School will also be making special appearances just after 11am, while members of Lichfield Friary Tennis Club will be promoting Street Tennis as well as showcasing their talents.

And all of the events will be leading up othe main event where invited athletes will compete to beat the chimes.

Competitors this year inclue 2009 runner-up Harry Jones of Cardiff AC, Birchfield Harriers’ James Whitehouse who controversially came 3rd in 2008 when he fell in the rain on the final bend and the eventual winner of that race James Trollop.  Amy Frith of Tamworth AC will be the first female athlete in the race since the inaugural event in 1998.  The 2009 Junior Dash winner Ashley Wickett of Cannock and Stafford AC has also been invited to race in the dash.

For more information on the event and the full programme of races call KP Events on 07947698147 or visit www.kpevents.net.

1. glassfan

13th July, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’m confused. Is this event the Cathedral Dash or the Festival Dash? I thought it had always been part of the Lichfield Festival… Am I wrong?

2. glassfan

17th July, 2010 at 11:38 am

I’m also wondering why you have taken even until now to ‘moderate’ my comment on this piece. Was my comment that contentious, or is it just favouritism? I guess I had expected more from the Lichfield Blog.

3. Phil

18th July, 2010 at 3:28 am

The Lichfield Blog is run entirely by volunteers. We use automated systems that pass certain comments to us for moderation. We moderate them when we find the time. We cannot and do not promise anything where moderating is concerned. That is why, for the large part, comments are are open.

4. glassfan

19th July, 2010 at 9:56 am

thank you for explaining Phil. I was unaware that only certain comments were passed for moderation, and I had been seeing other more recent comments getting posted. Meant no offence.
    My initial question still stands though – was it the cathedral dash or the festival dash. I suppose two days after the event, it doesn’t really matter, but if someone out there could shed some light on it, that would be appreciated.

5. Phil

19th July, 2010 at 10:05 am

I had a conversation about this the other day with the Festival administrator. It is the Lichfield Festival Dash in that it is part of the festival. If you check the Festival programme you’ll see it listed in there along with all the other events.

6. glassfan

19th July, 2010 at 12:16 pm

thank you for checking. that is what I had thought, but as there was no mention of the Festival in the piece above (not even in your tags), it prompted the question. Many thanks for answering

7. Phil

19th July, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Yep, I think that was just because of the way we received the information rather than us missing it out. I will update the tags though.

8. kevin dash founder

19th July, 2010 at 8:05 pm

hi

for 2010 the dash is now the lichfield cathedral dash,and is an event that takes place within the lichfield festival.The dash has had a few name changes and indeed has been theFestival dash in 2008 and 2009 but we wanted to design a logo for it for 2010 as 2011 and 2012 are special dates for the events development and it was felt appropriate to finally agree on the events official title.Hope this helps