The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Telford Hornets RUFC 3 Burntwood RUFC 18

Burntwood RUFC got their Midlands 3 West North league campaign off to a winning start but it proved a frustrating afternoon as they should have secured a bonus point for four tries, but only finished off two of the numerous chances which came their way.

They had the ideal start with a try inside the first two minutes and took two scrums and a line out against the Telford put in before ten minutes had elapsed. The score followed an interception by Craig Seedhouse. He kicked ahead for Matt Wood to follow up and touch down.

The hosts replied with what turned out to be their only points of the match 13 minutes into the contest, kicking a penalty given for a dangerous tackle.

Just a minute later, Wood cancelled this score out with his own successful kick, awarded for a deliberate knock on. Burntwood continued to dominate and Mitch Adams was unlucky to see his kick ahead cross the dead ball line before he could reach it.

With their eye already on a bonus point, the visitors ran a kickable penalty from infront of the posts but it came to nothing so when they were provided with a similar opportunity 10 minutes later Wood stepped up to make it 11-3.

In the ten minute spell up to the break Burntwood had three clear-cut try-scoring chances but each time the final pass was grounded with the ball missing its target or being knocked on.

From the second half restart Telford were presented with a penalty kick at goal but missed. Then five minutes into the half Burntwood won a penalty of their own in the home 22. Skipper Graham Shelley took a quick tap to himself and went round behind the posts for a try easily converted by Wood.

Frustration by both sides led to a lock forward from each team spending ten minutes on the touchline within a two minute sequence of play.

Centre John Haire charged down a Telford kick but lost the foot race to the home line. Another try was lost with an inaccurate pass and then prop Cartwright was held up over the line to add to the visitors’ frustration.

These misses could have been more costly when Telford threatened in the last ten minutes. It needed a try-saving tackle by full back Wood to deny one break down the left wing and then a penalty kick struck a post and bounced out for Seedhouse to clear.

However, the last opportunity fell to Burntwood but in keeping with what had gone before, Tom Restall lost possession of the ball after good work by Lloyd Shelley had created the opportunity.

The 2nds at home to Spartans and the 3rds away to Burton both opened their accounts with defeats but both played their parts in high-scoring contests.

Holders Burntwood have been drawn at home to Uttoxeter in the semi-final of the Staffs Intermediate Trophy to be played on November 27, other fixtures permitting.

This Saturday (September 18) Burntwood host one of the favourites for the league title when Veseyans visit The Sportsway, kick off 3pm. The 2nds visit HMP Featherstone and the 3rds are away to Willenhall 3rds. Both fixtures are in the Merit Tables.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.