Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

Protect our independence - donate now


Your contribution is appreciated.

Our non-for-profit, independent community journalism is produced by volunteers and survives thanks to your regular contributions.

Ben Tomlinson scores for Worksop Town against Chasetown. Pic: Dave Birt
An inability to convert chances into goals proved Chasetown FC’s downfall as they lost 2-0 to Worksop Town FC. A double for Ben Tomlinson sealed the points for the Tigers, but the Scholars enjoyed plenty of chances in particular in the second half with Dave Egan and Duncan Swann-Horler both playing well, although they were not quite able to find the target. Despite playing against strong winds, Chasetown had the better of the first few minutes play although Ryan Price was the first keeper to see action as he parried away a shot from Tomlinson. It was the latter who would grab the first goal of the game on 10 minutes as a clearance from the Scholars defence bounced towards their own goal, and Tomlinson pounced to round Price and put the Tigers ahead. Tomlinson kept up the pressure along with Ryan Mallon as the half progressed, but Chasetown had a great chance to equalise midway through.  A cross from Swann-Horler was cleared but Dave Bridgewater put the ball back in to allow Swann-Horler to head across goal, his effort flying just wide. Bridgewater then fired a 25-yard shot inches over the bar before home keeper Jon Kennedy fumbled a catch following a Danny Smith cross, but nothing came of it for the Scholars. Gary Birch then fired straight at Kennedy before Tomlinson and Mallon closed the half with a pair of chances, Price collecting the former’s header while Mallon fired over the bar. Even more chances were enjoyed by the visitors in the second half, but no goals were forthcoming.  Egan headed a free kick over the bar and had the ball plucked from his foot at the point of shooting on 47 minutes, while the Scholars found a great chance on 58 minutes following some fine midfield play, but Kennedy parried Swann-Horler’s shot round the post. Swann-Horler enjoyed a further chance and Danny Smith also forced Kennedy into a save, but the Tigers doubled their lead against the run of play on 73 minutes.  A cross into the six yard box caught out the Chasetown defence and Tomlinson was able to roll the ball home and complete his double.
Chasetown's Danny Smith battles for the ball in the air. Pic: Dave Birt
Two minutes later Chris Peel found a chance on the right but made a mistake before he could shoot and Birch chipped the loose ball over the bar, while substitute Ben Jevons tried to beat the offside trap with ten minutes to go but the flag went up, although it was Birch who appeared to be offside. Ramone Stephens was combining well with Birch and they set up Egan with two minutes on the clock, but his shot went straight to Kennedy and it just was not to be for the Scholars as Worksop took the three points. It’s back to home action tomorrow (September 21) as Chasetown host Colwyn Bay in another Evo-Stik Premier fixture (7.45pm kick-off). Worksop: Kennedy (c), Wharton, Wood, Bacon, Shiels, Wankoewicz, Vettney, Meikle, Tomlinson, Jackson, Mallon.  Subs: Knox, Camm, Colliver (Wharton 59), Whittington, Simpson. Chasetown: Price, J Branch, Peel, Cohen, Bridgewater, Teesdale (c), D Smith, Egan, Birch, Ryan, Swann-Horler.  Subs: Jevons (Swann-Horler 79), Saunders, Stephens (D Smith 70), M Branch (Peel 79), Hay.