The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC 1 Ossett Town FC 0

Gary Hay puts Chasetown 1-0 up against Ossett Town. Pic: Dave Birt

Gary Hay puts Chasetown 1-0 up against Ossett Town. Pic: Dave Birt

Gary Hay’s second half goal handed Chasetown a 1-0 win over Ossett Town at the Scholars Ground.

Despite slightly lacking some of the high drama of the previous week’s goal-fests, this was still a good workmanlike performance from the Chase, with Hay and Grant Ryan ably deputising for the absent Dean Perrow who picked up a knock in training.

The game got off to a fairly slow start, the only chance of the opening minutes halted when Matthew Young charged down a Scholars cross, while Ramone Stephens had begun well and saw a shot blocked on 19 minutes.  John Branch crossed the ball back in and Ben Jevons stretched but couldn’t deflect the ball goalwards.

Stephens continued to combine well with Ryan at the front as the pace began to pick up, while Darren Thornton sent a 30-yard free kick just wide of the woodwork on the half-hour.

Two minutes later and Ossett should have taken the lead, David Boardman somehow nodding wide of the post after Ryan Price’s fingertip save had just failed to clear Mark Wilson’s free kick.

Chasetown then found a good chance on 37 minutes as Hay sent a long ball through to Ryan but keeper Neil Bennett was able to clear, while the latter stretched to push Mark Branch’s free kick from the right over the bar on 41 minutes.

The action improved markedly in the second half and on 55 minutes Chasetown were in front.  A low cross from Jevons into the six-yard box found Hay who coolly side-footed the ball past Bennett to give the Scholars the lead.

John Branch was enjoying a good performance on the wing and worked well with substitute Gavin Saunders, while Caldon Henson put in a good effort for the visitors on 63 minutes to run the full length of the pitch only to be dispossessed by Mark Branch at the last moment.

Chasetown's Ramone Stephens clears the ball under pressure. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown's Ramone Stephens clears the ball under pressure. Pic: Dave Birt

Dave Egan went close on two occasions for the Scholars while Hay’s impressive performance continued, the forward crossing to Gary Birch on 80 minutes but defender Ryan Laight headed the ball over the bar.

Birch went close again in the closing minutes and Egan saw his shot saved, while Stephens impressed again in combination with Birch with the resultant cross causing a goalmouth scramble.  The ball was eventually cleared for a corner as the Scholars went on for their third straight league victory to climb to fourth in the table, just two points off the lead.

Chasetown now prepare to take on Heath Hayes in the first round of the Walsall Senior Cup on Tuesday (October 5), kick-off 7.45pm kick-off.

Chasetown: Price, J Branch, M Branch, Cohen, Bridgewater, Teesdale (c), Stephens, Egan, Hay, Ryan, Jevons.  Subs: Birch (Ryan 77), Saunders (Bridgewater 52), Edwards, Westwood, Peel.
Ossett: Bennett, Henson, Sykes, Hotte (c), Laight, Cyrus, Young, Wilson, Sheriffe, Boardman, Thornton.  Subs: Stirland (Thornton 64), Ngie (Sheriffe 84), Bleau.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!